SHould I buy a 100L Pilot Brewery From China?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Simon, your post prompted me to update this thread.

I received the equipment a couple of weeks ago and am heading up to the property this weekend to spark it up!

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I still got completely f&#cked by the shipping agent. It ended up costing me about $5,900 to get the equipment from the Sydney port to my place 90mins north...

You can read the full story here: http://buckettys.com.au/pirates-getting-screwed-shipping-industry/

Dude that really sucks!
I have recently ordered some stuff from the land of China and despite the manufacturer telling me that shipping was "free" I was doubtful. I was also put off by how pushy they got when I said I would investigate my own freight options. I was lucky enough to have worked with a company who only deal with importing things on a project recently at work. I contacted them and mentioned I had been offered something too good to be true and wanted a comparison quote. The Aussie quote was a lot more but he then proceeded to explain how these "pirates" are all linked to the stainless manufacturers in China. The manufacturer gets to sprook free shipping(and get a kickback) and the "pirates" get paid because you don't know about their fees until your goods land and you're already too far committed. In fact you don't even know they are a link in the chain till the goods land.

The company I went with provided an estimate inc all freight and duty(plus the other 20 random fees) and their only stipulation was that if it gets called into customs for a random search there is a fee of a few hundred bux.
I went the Aussie option for piece of mind and to have a reliable contact in OZ. Mind you the freight component of the purchase makes up around 30% of the total cost. I'm happy to share the contact if anyone else is planning to bring stuff in. Will wait until end of Feb however once it's all landed to fully endorse but so far they have been great and very informative.

Cripes, sad to hear about all the hassles. What was the end figure? Total?

Yeah this is a common problem with LCL cargo from China. It's a total scam. The industry term is 'Zero Drop Shipping'. Most of the time it is cheaper to get a whole container, at least then you have more control.

I know it's too late in this case, but for anyone else I'd recommend buying FOB or Ex Factory and organising freight from this end through a broker. At least you'll know what you're in for upfront.

you're going to a bigger system ?

Sure are. Just places a deposit on 1500L Brewhouse with 30HL fermenters.

Sorry to hear about your shipping drama. We went FOB for ours and used a logistics company from QLD. We have two 40' containers delivered for just over double that.

Look forward to hearing about the beers you're making though!

Cheers
Simo

How funny, I was looking for this thread just the other day as I was wondering how things were ticking along!

Good job!

Great website and will be reading the journey! Just starting out in brewing its all very overwhelming and yet exciting at the same time.

Congratulations on your first brew and cheers to many more

We've now been using the equipment for 3 months and churned out quite a few brews from it with mixed results.

I think you get what you pay for with this stuff. It works and does the job, but we've had to fix quite a few things in the process. I've updated our blog with all the trials and tribulations since the first brew.

http://buckettys.com.au/3-months-7-brews-500-tonnes-gravel/

We've now been using the equipment for 3 months and churned out quite a few brews from it with mixed results.

I think you get what you pay for with this stuff. It works and does the job, but we've had to fix quite a few things in the process. I've updated our blog with all the trials and tribulations since the first brew.

Thanks for continuing to document your journey.

Have you considered moving to caustic for cleaning?

Thanks for continuing to document your journey.

Have you considered moving to caustic for cleaning?
Yeah I've thought about it, but I figure it's not great for the environment because the waste water isn't treated and just runs into the grass at the back (for now).

Yeah I've thought about it, but I figure it's not great for the environment because the waste water isn't treated and just runs into the grass at the back (for now).
Fair enough, hadn't considered that would be an issue with the 100L setup. I assume water treatment is likely to be a significant factor with the DA for the future brewery.

Fair enough, hadn't considered that would be an issue with the 100L setup. I assume water treatment is likely to be a significant factor with the DA for the future brewery.

Absolutely, we're going to need to call in some environmental consultants to come up with a solution. From what I understand it's all very doable, just depends on how much waste water you need to process and how much it'll cost. That part of the process is still 3 or so months away.

Absolutely, we're going to need to call in some environmental consultants to come up with a solution. From what I understand it's all very doable, just depends on how much waste water you need to process and how much it'll cost. That part of the process is still 3 or so months away.
Best of luck with it!

Love your honest write ups mate. Brewing is always an adventure, and a rollercoaster of lessons and achievements. Some would ague that the best school is the one of hard knocks so keep up the hard work and it will pay off.

Re pressure fermentation, are you using an adjustable spunding valve? I have done a few batches pressure fermented now and they have come out cracking. I'd recommend not going over 1BAR (15PSI). So far my favorite yeasts for pressure fermenting ales are Nottingham and WLP090.

Back