Should I Boil For 60mins Or 90mins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hi all
Probably should dawned on this earlier, but I've just now started my boil for my first BIAB one pot brew. I'm doing DrSmurtosGA. I'm looking to end up with about 17L in the fermenter.
I had planned to boil for 90 mins but then thought should I do 60 as the hops go in starting at 60.
Should I do 60 or 90 and if 90 - first lot of hops in after thirty minutes or at the beginning?
Chris.

Boil for 10 to 15 minutes before adding your first hop addition then boil for 60 mins minimum.

Once you get everything down pat with your system, try longer boils for some malts/beer styles and see how it suits.

Thanks for the prompt reply manticle - almost at boiling point now so was going to have to make a quick decision! Will add first hops 15 mins.

One other newbie question - when you add second lot of hops, you don't discard first lot do you - just add second lot too first lot and then any subsequent lots from there.

One day I'll look back and laugh at some of my newb questions...... :)

Thanks for the prompt reply manticle - almost at boiling point now so was going to have to make a quick decision! Will add first hops 15 mins.

One other newbie question - when you add second lot of hops, you don't discard first lot do you - just add second lot too first lot and then any subsequent lots from there.

You are counting down from when you add your 60 hops..

So 60 goes in at 10pm... then 20 is at 10.40 and flame out at 11...

Yeah, you leave them in.

Maybe but that's how you know you're learning stuff so it's a good thing.

72:37

At some point during the seventy second minute of boiling your wort will be so very tasty that somewhere on the other side of the world a small man will sigh and fart knowing just how perfect your beer will be if you stop boiling right now.

Nah - it makes SFA difference.

So 60 goes in at 10pm... then 20 is at 10.40 and flame out at 11...
I've never seen anyone explain it like that.

Into the kit and extract forum with you!

Evaporation between 60 and 90 is significant, hop utilisation is not. If you boil off too much and your SG is high, then just dilute (water works a treat, wine is not so good but its OK).

K

Boil for 10 to 15 minutes before adding your first hop addition

Manticle, will you please explain why you do that? I usually FWH or just throw it in as soon as it boils but if theres a good reason for it I'll start doing it your way or at least try it.
Cheers

Was brewing yesterday and wondered if anyone takes the old ones out for the 0 min addition? The brew I was making had a large 0 min addition and thought it might get more flavor from it if I emptied the sock and tossed them in.

Manticle, will you please explain why you do that? I usually FWH or just throw it in as soon as it boils but if theres a good reason for it I'll start doing it your way or at least try it.
Cheers

My understanding is that allowing the hot break to properly form will give better utilisation from the hops, or at least that hop utilisation is interfered with if you don't - hops can bind to the proteins.

Might be one of those 'repeat it often enough and it's true' things - it's mentioned many times on the internet (BYO mag, homebrewtalk etc) but I haven't seen anything solid or measured as to whether it's true. I'll keep searching.

Actually,

I was doing some reading the other day and came across this article although how credible it is I can't say.

http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/news/boilhops.htm

It seems to suggest a 90 min boil as a minimum. From what I can understand much in the same way as Manticle was talking about his 15 minutes, to allow the proteins in the boil, hot break etc. to form.

I'm no expect but someone more experienced may be able to weigh in on it.

Personally I just wait till the hot break forms and breaks up then start my timer.

ok ,, thanks for replying. I'll have a go but not really convinced it will make a difference.
better make a smaller batch in case it is more bitter

cheers

Back