Should I Boil A Morgans Wheat Alt Extract?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupnupnee

Reaction score
I have just purchased Moragan's Master Blend Wheat Malt can of extract malt. What I am wnating to know is should I boil the contents first or do I assume it has been done by the manufacturer before canning? If I do need to boil it WHY? The beer is part of a kit I'm doing with Morgan's Wheat Beer.

Kindly

Tim :unsure:

There should be no need to boil a can of extract, so long as it isn't too old.
Just add it to your recipe and make sure it's well mixed.

I recently got someone to go to the HBS for me, and instead of a kit..they bought a can of Morgans UNHOPPED Amber Malt Extract....so I was forced to do a boil to get some bitterness out of the 25 gms of cascade I also got...there was also 1 kg of light dried malt extract in the recipe....boiled for about 60 mins with about 17 gms of the hops...threw in the rest when I turned off the heat...must say..it is a very light coloured clear beer...but I have had extracts go darker on me before, so is the wheat extract can hopped ot not?..are you adding it to a kit, or doing an extract brew?

Thanks for the answers.

I ended up just chucking it in. It went in with a Morgans, wheat beer kit plus 250g of dextrose. Had a bit of a worry with the yeast. I think I cooked it at about 35 degrees it didn't look like it was starting after a couple of hours so I ended up chucking some lager yeast in as well because I was scared of infection if I didn't get the beastie brewing fast. It now has a krausen of about 15 to 20 cm thick and bubbling hard. SG dropped from 93 to 46 over night.

Regards

Tim

hupnupnee said:
it didn't look like it was starting after a couple of hours so I ended up chucking some lager yeast in as well because I was scared of infection if I didn't get the beastie brewing fast.
[post="79721"][/post]​

A couple of hours...sometimes you wont see any action at all for a couple of days.
I reckon if that lager yeast you threw in is a true lager yeast it might taste funny mixed with the other yeast, especially if your fermenting temp is in the mid 20's.

I guess I'm a bit scared about infection. My first brew became stung and I think it occured because fermentation did not start fast enough and allowed a bug to get started before the yeast did it in. I ended up having to see my LHB bloke and he gave me some lager yeast and a heating belt to use to try and get it going. Ti got going OK but so did the bacteria.

Tim

hupnupnee said:
I guess I'm a bit scared about infection. My first brew became stung and I think it occured because fermentation did not start fast enough and allowed a bug to get started before the yeast did it in. I ended up having to see my LHB bloke and he gave me some lager yeast and a heating belt to use to try and get it going. Ti got going OK but so did the bacteria.

Tim
[post="79732"][/post]​

From the advice you are getting it sounds like you are dealing with those dodgy brewcraft hb stores.

No i don't think he is a Brewcrafter, I think maybe he is not very experienced? But not really sure? Could have just been trying to save my first brew for me?

Latest posts

Back