Should I Be Worried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I'm starting to get setup with kegging and am going to use a 3.5 kg CO2 fire extinguisher. Was just reading this on the KK website.

SHOULD I GET A LARGER CYLINDER?
No, a 2.6kg is the largest recommended safe size to be used in domestic environments. CO2 is DEADLY in concentrations above 18% in the atmosphere. A 2.6kg cylinder is the maximum recommended size cylinder you should be using without proper extraction fans and CO2 detecting equipment installed in your cellar or closed bar area. A 3kg CO2 cylinder is enough to make a 50cumic meter room a deadly environment. Only ever use a larger cylnder if you are outside or in an area which is well ventilated.

Should I be worried having this cylinder in my single garage with internal door into the house? Or is this just a sales pitch?

Sounds like them just covering their asses...it's not like you are going to be letting all the gas out into the air all at once kind of thing.

Just make sure you always wear breathing apparatus in the garage. Problem solved.

You are using a fire extinguisher and you are worried about regulations.

Im not worried about regulations at all. Im just wondering if there is a good chance that the gas could all leak out of my cylinder overnight and into my garage and then my wife opens the door into the garage and is knocked out.

Im assuming the risk is the CO2 displaces the oxygen in the air so there is no air to breathe??

If the chances are slim to none and theyre just covering their arse or pushing sales then alls good. But have to ask the question.

real problem is you wont know till its too late....but even then you will not know....
chances are slim but so are the chances of winning the lotto and that goes off regularly.

One tonne of CO2 occupies 550m3 at sea level.

So 3.5/1000 = 0.0035 x 550 = 1.92m3

Times this by 5 (if 20% is lethal) = 10 cubic meters.

Volume of your garage (5 x 4 x 3m) = 60 cubic meters.

You'd have to be sleeping on the floor in there to succumb to it. So don't drink all your beer and passout. If there were fans circulating it, it would never be enough to become lethal in a garage. Maybe a very small bathroom or a toilet could become lethal.

Your wife will be fine, but if she isn't, I never said this.

It's possible for all the gas to leak out, many people have found their gas bottles empty because of small leaks somewhere on the way to the keg. Of course, if you turn the gas bottle off every night its a lot less likely.

As to whether that would be enough to kill you or not, I have no idea.

http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/con...+for+gas+alarms

One tonne of CO2 occupies 550m3 at sea level.

So 3.5/1000 = 0.0035 x 550 = 1.92m3

Times this by 5 (if 20% is lethal) = 10 cubic meters.

Volume of your garage (5 x 4 x 3m) = 60 cubic meters.

You'd have to be sleeping on the floor in there to succumb to it. So don't drink all your beer and passout.

Your wife will be fine, but if she isn't, I never said this.

HAHA Thanks Nick..i'll tell her Nick said its safe..and proved it with maths... :D

So obviously just a bit of a sales pitch to stop people like me using fire extinguishers and buying their cylinders instead.

Im not worried about regulations at all. Im just wondering if there is a good chance that the gas could all leak out of my cylinder overnight and into my garage and then my wife opens the door into the garage and is knocked out.

If it's that easy, i'm cutting the ******* hoses tonight!

And the nutcases say that we are going to have catastrophic global warming with a concentration of 0.04% carbon dioxide in the atmosphere!

It's possible there is some sales incentive behind it, as they will obviously make more profit on 2 x 2.6kg fills than on one big 6kg fill.

However, depending on how much you drink, and whether or not you force carb or naturally carb your kegs, even a small 2.6kg cylinder will last you a long time.

I've been kegging for over 12 months now, predominantly using force carbonation, and I've had to get one refill of my small KK cylinder. Plus, it's swap'n'go, so if your time is important to you, there's no need to hang around while they fill up your fire extinguisher (if they'll do it at all).

As Felten said, just turn the main gas tap off after every pour/session, and there's no risk of gas leaking out.

And the nutcases say that we are going to have catastrophic global warming with a concentration of 0.04% carbon dioxide in the atmosphere!
Abandon thread! Abandon thread!

you should be worried...very worried...even im worried for you.

Hydrogen Dioxide is far more deadly....you dont want that shit anywhere near your garage or beer

And you certainly do not want to ingest Dihydrogen Oxide!

Back