Should I Add Hops Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBOY

Reaction score
I am about to put down another brew, so far i have got Morgans Stockmans Draught and a 1.5Kg tin of unhopped extra pale malt extract. My question is should i add extra hops? if so what type? I have only ever used the hops that are in like a big tea bag, MB-89 from memory.

i would add hops - boil the extract with 30gms of Pride of Ringwood for 20 mins.

Use a good yeast like windsor, nottinghsm or a liquid 1028 etc. utilising a liquid starter

Primary for 7-10 days - then rack and dry hop with either Hallertau or Cascade - 35 gms for 2- 4weeks. store in a fridge preferably.

Hope this helps

If all that sounds all a bit much for you at this stage

Why not buy some pellets , you pick a hop flavour from a beer you like , make a cup a tea with say 3 tablespoons , chuck it in the fermenter

Easy azz , and a way to start tasting hops

experimenting with hops has been some of the best experience i've had with homebrewing... i say DO IT. I've always followed GMKs suggestion and they have turned out great. At first, the tastes are really strong and overpowering but don't panic (like i did), they mellow considerably with age and bottle conditioning. The result is a fantastic brew with notable hop characters, that can sometimes even hide some other not so great attributes!!

I can see why GMK has usually suggested the bittering first with POR, and then dry hopping for aroma/flavour... doing one without the other is just not quite the same... and it's simple!!

Thanks Wardy

1.5kg of liquid malt is quite some malt and the hops from the Stockmans Draught might get drowned out.

It might be easier to make a low grav wort with some dried extract, boil your bittering hops in this ("boil" means a vigorous boil, BTW, not a gentle simmer) then when you turn the heat off add a few pellets of aroma hops, stir well, cover and leave for 30 mins, then pour the wort into the fementer through a fine kitchen sieve

Jovial Monk

I'm with Batz, if you're comfortable with kit and kilo and not into boils yet, add some hops into primary. You'll get aroma benefits, without harsh bitterness.

If you rack into 2ndary, it's a great place to add hops. Make a tea with pellets (or plugs) like Batz says, more chance your HBS has stored them well and you get fresh aromas. I've used the bags with good results, but sometimes they can be a bit old and stale, and you pay a premium price for not a lot of hops.

Back