Should Cascade Taste Cidery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
my first time experimenting with hops...

i added 25g of cascade hop pellets. Used GMKs method of putting into cup with boiling water for 10 min before throwing into 2ndary. Used nylon hop bag.

2 weeks later... The result has been very strong citrus aroma and a very cidery taste. I can't work out if it is Infected or not. All my other brews have tasted fine from the fementer, but this one is aweful. It is still bitter (and not sour), but definately cidery and strong smell. Is this what cascade is like before it is matured or cold conditioned?

did the wort taste cidery befor the dry hop additions.

usually cidery is from a high temp fermentation....

I have had a brew taste like lawnmower cuttings from dry hopping. After a couple of weeks away from the hops the brew was fine. If you are drinking it from the fermenter with the hops in then I would try it again after it has been off the hops for a while.

Hope it turns out ok.

GMK, the wort tasted great before hopping, and i kept the temp well down below 23 (i'm in melbourne so it wasn't hard)

I dry hopped my Coopers IPA with 25 gms of cascade 12 days ago. I dont have any cidery taste whatsover.
Just that lovely cascade taste.

cheers

wardy,
I dont have any temp control so I have been happy with the low temps in Melb lately.
This brew has been sitting constantly at around 22 C.
I racked to secondary, pinched one of the missus pantyhose and cut it of at the leg about 30 cm. Sterilized and rinsed it well. Put the hops in that, tied it up then steeped in about 500 ml boiled water for about 10 mins.
Then I added that to the secondary and let it sit there till now.

cheers

cascade is very different if you havn't had it before, grapefruit flavour and very stong (After golding so the like)

I gave a beer to a mate that hated it, he cant stand cascade - everyone else liked it.

maybe its just the cascade you dont like???

its like GMK and myself RE: Fuggles YUCK!!!!

Johno

I dont like your idea of dry hopping with Panty Hose. Some panty hose use a colouring that even with tthe stockings boiled in a pot on the stove for 30mins doesnt get it out and leaves a funny, yucky tatse.

Also, as the hops are now in the secondary -they will still add flavour until the dead yeast cells cover them - this doesn't really happen if you primary for a week to 10 days - ie it is finished.

Thehops tend to float now and will stay in contact with the wort thus adding flavour.

If you cant get enough hop flavour - Add more hops...

GMK,
Primary was 7 or 8 days. As far as i could tell primary fermentation had finished. I alway let primary ferment finish before i rack to secondary. First time ive used the hop pellets so I just used the p-h coz i had nothing else.
Tastes great so far so hopefully i havent got one of those dud p-h.
I'm trying to organize some muslin bags.
Thanks for the tip.
It somehow didnt feel right using those anyway. :wacko:
I just read it in a brewing book once.

cheers

Muslin Bags

Even using Muslin Bags I dont Like.
A mate of mine used to use one - got a bad infection - took him ages to narrow it down to the muslin bag. Even though he was sterlising it - it was not quite good enough.

I prefer not to use them...

ok,
thats it. i'm not going to use them either. i'll chust chuck the hops in like that next tme.

cheers

i used a Nylon bag last time, and i must agree with GMK's notion, i thought it would definately increase my chance of infection. the excess of the bag floats on the top in the head space which is an ideal breading ground for bacteria, especially if your fermenter is not perfectly sealed. This time i just threw the hops straight in (after making hop tea of course).

What i do need to do, is get an in-line filter that GMK was talking about... did you say they were an irrigation filter from the hardware store? do they have a nylon gauze filter inside? do they block easily because i've got a lot of crap in that fermenter??

Back