Shoud I Be Worried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazar

Reaction score
I'm halfway through bottling a stout using glass bottles for the first time.I got sidetracked by my daughter and missed adding a carbonation drop to one bottle. So I twist the lid off and there was the familiar noise of a carbed bottle!! My SG has been stable since Monday so surely I should be fine yeah?

Pouring into bottles will agitate and release some of the CO2 that will inevitably be dissolved in the beer so that would be gradually reabsorbed. Test a bottle after 4 days. Being a stout it will almost certainly be drinkable by then anyway or you can fizz it up a bit with a dash of commercial beer (black and tan B) ) so as not to waste it. :beerbang:

Without time lines I'm assuming this was on the same day? If so your beer would have absorbed some CO2 during the fermentation process and this would naturally be released as pressure equalises in the bottle.

If you were cold conditioning your beer then more gas would have been absorbed as per my previous comment thanks to boyle's law and as the beer warmed up in the bottle it released some of the CO2 it already had absorbed.

tl;dr You're fine.

Without time lines I'm assuming this was on the same day? If so your beer would have absorbed some CO2 during the fermentation process and this would naturally be released as pressure equalises in the bottle.

If you were cold conditioning your beer then more gas would have been absorbed as per my previous comment thanks to boyle's law and as the beer warmed up in the bottle it released some of the CO2 it already had absorbed.

tl;dr You're fine.

Cheers mate, yeah it was during the bottling so only a few minutes. I'm paranoid about bottle bombs but I should be doubly safe as the recipe only calls for one carb drop. Thanks again.

So I bottled the last of the stout same day (Saturday) and put the last of it into a PET bottle. In 48hrs thus bottle is already feeling solid with not a lot of give in it. Never had this until trying a stout.

Latest posts

Back