Shortening dip tubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
How do you guys do this? I am a bit of a 'diy but actually have no clue' kind of bloke.

Going to dedicate 2 cornies to pressure fermenting and have had a few issues with transferring on my first attempt... I know bending is also an option.

I cut it with an angle grinder and ss-friendly cutting disc. Let it rest in a dry place for a few days and the cut end will passivate.

I clamp the discard end in the vice. Hacksaw it off. Being careful not to slide the blade along the shaft and cause gouges. Its slight of hand though and then I finish the cut end with a dremil to grind off the burs then pollish. This may sound tediouse but its minutes work with the dremil kit. You could cut the end off with the dremil as well as an option.

On that note I just picked up my first floating draw tube set up. I may go this option for all my kegging if it proves itself as an advantage.
$17 for float and length of flexy tube. $10 bucks just for a short (gas tube)
I want to keep my long dip tubes as is rather than cut them.

On that note I just picked up my first floating draw tube set up. I may go this option for all my kegging if it proves itself as an advantage.
$17 for float and length of flexy tube. $10 bucks just for a short (gas tube)
I want to keep my long dip tubes as is rather than cut them.

Where'd you get the parts?

Thanks guys, I have the floating liquid tube, but I forgot the gas post. I still think I'll try and pipe cutter from Bunnings.

the one i did was fine just take it slow

This says it's for copper. How does it go with stainless? Does it need any tidying up afterwards?
As Barls says, just take it slow. The cutting wheel may go blunt, but depending on the quality of cutter you buy, they are cheap to replace. They make a very neat cut, and minimal if any deburring is required.

Latest posts

Back