• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Shopping Around

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pint of lager said:
Hops, those little 12 gm packs that tangent mentioned form the supermarket. How long have they been hanging on that hook? Hops need proper storage to mainatin fresh flavours and bitterness levels. If there is an AA rating prinetd on the bag, chances are it is wrong due to long term storage.

[post="74625"][/post]​

I've never seen an AA rating on any of those 'little bags' from the supermarket and haven't used them in years.
However I think they are good for their purpose - improving cheap kits by dry hopping.
They are reasonably cheap, come in a nifty tea bag to stop sludge and make a huge aroma/flavour difference to basic K+K's.
I think most novices that start trying to improve their brews head down this path (i did).

If it kindles a person's interest to get further involved in the hobby then more power to the humble 12g pack :chug:

Unfortunately most (uninformed) people are happy to just chug away doing the occasional kit brew and some HBS are only interested in supporting these types.
The majority of people who have tried home brewing (it seems nearly every second person at some stage during their life) are either blissfully ignorant or apathetic about improving the end results. It's a sad fact that most of these people's sole source of brewing education comes from these same HBS.
When the main home brew advertising lure for many years has been 'brew cheep beer' it's little wonder the majority have never progressed past the basics.

It's always heartening to see the range of improvisiation and resourcefulness of those on this forum. With such little commercially available equipment (compared to the US) it's good to see the members sharing experience and knowledge. If it involves innovation, power tools, cost saving and a good learning experience then all the better.

Most of us here are happily sliding down the slippery slope from occasional hobbiest to compulsive obsessive and Tight Arse Brewing is all part of the fun. :D

tangent said:
chances are you have trucks that go somewhere near where you live, from somewhere near where supplies come from
now those trucks have drivers that are partial to a beer after work
the rest is up to your beer and your social skills
[post="74368"][/post]​

There you go big d , trucks wizzing pass you door all day and night !

stop your complaining ! :lol:

City folk hey <_<

Batz

warrenlw63 said:
Troywhite.

So you've never rang or visited a HB store for advice? I find prices at my LHBS to be more than competitive with the supermarket.

How many checkout chicks do you know that can tell you what's wrong with your brew?

Support your LHBS! Most of them are there for your benefit. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="74600"][/post]​

Well I am on your side Troywhite

If I can buy a product cheaper by bulk buy etc , then I'll do it

As for supermarkets....I don't buy anything brewing from a supermarket either , they have nothing I want

Advice? From a HBS don't need it thanks .

Now this does not mean I never buy stuff from a HBS , the couple of main brew shops that visit this form know me personally.

Next .... support your local HBS , yes very nobel , now what if your HBS could buy something cheaper...say from China instead as from a Aussie company?
Who do you think they would choose? Support thier local supplier?

My 2 cents worth

Batz....I have done several bulk buys for AHBer members

pint of lager said:
Make sure your search for tight arse
[post="74625"][/post]​

Hmmm... Think I just logged into the wrong forum. :lol: :ph34r:

Warren -

I agree that we should support the good HBS's, most of them are fellow enthusiasts and good advice can be invaluable.

But I did twist a bit when I paid $1.50 for a keg post 'O' ring when Bunnings have them for a fraction of the price. (no. 9 'O' ring in the plumbing section).

Tangent has got a point in saying "For advice I go here, for free". I have certainly learned more from this site, the Grumpy's site & Palmers book than ever I did from my nearest brew shop (which often gave me incorrect advice).
Grumpy' s have benefitted in that I often order from them or I make about a 30km trek out to TWOC which appear to me to be the best brew shop in WA.

"There you go big d , trucks wizzing pass you door all day and night !
stop your complaining !
City folk hey"

so they banned all vehicles into or out of arhnem land now eh?
I'm just suggesting that a positive attitude rather than a helpless attitude may help poor bigD to get what his heart desires. How does he get his Grumps supplies? Camel mail?

Pint of Lager, your idea about pressurising the extract tin is GOLD!
Best tip i've had all year.

Your point about not knowing alpha acid levels - taken, but atm I don't know the levels of the hops i pick, and all the plastic bags of hops i've bought from brewshops have had the variety and AA% written in texta which has all worn off. So the aa% missing in the supermarket is not as much a concern for me as other brewers.
I'd never think about using baking products, I'm referring more to buying the same items I'm using now.
I buy a Coopers tin on special for 9bucks and they're newer because the supermarket turns over more of them. Brewshop are charging $12-15 for exactly the same item.
For a cheap tin, I can get a lager for 6bucks on special.

heres one for you tangent.road freight to darwin then loaded onto a barge sea freighted to gove.
not quite a truck at my door stop. :) weight restrictions apply on the (dirt) east arnhem highway accessable dry season only and permits apply as you are crossing govt sanctioned aboriginal native title land.ie no road freight allowed

wish it was easier but alas its not so to be a total mad ag brewer that i am i suffer freight costs that hit hard.i also have to collect my own freight(grain)else wise to deliver its more money.
and the freight has just gone up more per cubic metre.
but i will continue my passion for brewing regardless of cost.so to all tight arse brewers enjoy what you have access to as my nearest hbs is 1 1/2 hour flight away or a 7-8 hour car trip away and to save what?

happy brewing
big d

I never said it was to your doorstop mate
I'm from the bush originally
Good Luck

Back