Shit Happens

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benn

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks of waiting I stood in the kitchen bottle opener in hand ready to taste what was to be a nice crisp coopers (k&k hops etc.) ale.
I opened the cap & in a split second there was 750ml of foam all over me & the kitchen,
As I bolted for the sink I slipped head over heels on the Lino, split my elbow on the landing & ruined my flanny in the process.
As I'm laying on the wet Lino moaning & groaning, the missus (who saw/heard the whole thing) is pissing herself in the lounge room & just to add insult to injury my 5 year old twin daughters go to the cupboard & rip out the pink Dora the Explorer band aids... Kids, gotta love em.
I just finished mopping the floor & wiping the beer off the ceiling so the next one gets opened in the back yard I reckon.

Mate, funny story, but sounds like it could've been nasty. There are a few posts here with near misses and others who have worn some glass. User name "Acasta" is one of them.

I would be chucking on some garden gloves and safety glasses and checking another couple. If they are all like that now, you risk pieces of glass stuck in your body parts. If the whole batch is overcarbed, you could try venting the bottles by gently lifting the lids with a bottle opener until they start to foam up. You may have to do it three or four times over the day to get it right, but be careful, mate. I had to do this with a batch about a year ago and it worked well.

Can you put them all into the fridge now?

Thanks for the good oil mate, I'll heed your advice. I've dropped a couple of suspect bottles in the sulo bin (once...) before and had them rain glass down on the shed... Scary stuff indeed. Might go put them in the fridge now.
Cheers.

No worries. Hope it goes well, mate.

If they are all like this you need to look at the cause for the overcarbonation. If they taste ok then you can rule out infection.

Maybe post up your recipe and fermentation specs including OG and FG . Could you have bottled too early, ie before the brew reached final gravity?

Thanks Jyo,
Must have been a one off, I've chilled down a few more and opened them with no dramas, hopefully just an isolated infection (dirty bottle)
Cheers,

Back