Shirron Heat Exchangers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Anybody know much about these?

They look similar to the Therminator. Cost $90 U.S.

Link

Claims are 5 gallons to pitching temps in 5 mins. Big claim. :eek:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Anybody know much about these?

They look similar to the Therminator. Cost $90 U.S.

Claims are 5 gallons to pitching temps in 5 mins. Big claim. :eek:
[post="78718"][/post]​

Brewboard is your friend! there are a few posts discussing their merits and also another one from an online supplier, it was the M14-30 model
http://www.buyheatexchangersonline.com/bra...order-form.html

There has been a bit of a talk about them on the Brews and Views forum as well as on the Northern brewer forum too. Aimed to compete directly with the Therminator obviously, and at half the price.

They should do the job admirably I'd say, but I noticed the first report (that I've seen) of clogging using a plate chiller only yesterday on the brewing-forum.com and it was refering to the Therminator. I have no idea or experience with this matter but the concensus seems to be that most people wouldn't use pellet hops with a plate chiller. That's a real bugger because I only use pellet hops, but I reckon one of these would be great. Hard to know which one to go though, a convoluted CFC or the plate-or maybe just stick to the everyday old CFC or immersion?

I think I'd be a bit happier if you could run nasty chemicals through it, but I don't think you can because they are copper. Pretty good price though.

Cheers, Justin

Yep, price looks right and the water savings are very attractive. Still very wary on the cleaning front though... Does anyone on the forum have a Therminator or know someone that's used one?? How did they go?

Shawn.

Gough said:
Yep, price looks right and the water savings are very attractive. Still very wary on the cleaning front though... Does anyone on the forum have a Therminator or know someone that's used one?? How did they go?

Shawn.
[post="78732"][/post]​

Gough
Mr palmer talks about one in this previous thread.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Therminator-t5029.html

And I am sure a local member has one as well. Cant find the thread right now. Will keep looking.
Found it. oops, same post. its Wobbo. And he talks well about them as well.
johnno

Bear in mind guys things in the US market differ slightly from us.

Americans have access to an abundance of leaf/flower hops. :unsure: These are a natural filter bed and would prevent most clogging to a therminator et al;

As Justin said I think that pellet hops would kill these babies.

Warren -

johnno said:
Gough said:

Shawn.
[post="78732"][/post]​

Gough
Mr palmer talks about one in this previous thread.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Therminator-t5029.html

And I am sure a local member has one as well. Cant find the thread right now. Will keep looking.
Found it. oops, same post. its Wobbo. And he talks well about them as well.
johnno
[post="78743"][/post]​

Thanks Johnno :) Remember that thread now... Still no closer to buying one though.

Shawn.

One of the hop stoppers that have been talked about / trialled recently should make these plate coolers an option for pellet users ?

Boots said:
One of the hop stoppers that have been talked about / trialled recently should make these plate coolers an option for pellet users ?
[post="78751"][/post]​

I would expect so.

Boots said:
[post="78751"][/post]​

Yer you would definately want some kinda filter in front of these things if you use one - would be a hell of a job to clean if got bogged. Woudl be a nice piece of kit to add to the brewery but.

These are also used as condensers in airconditioning, particularly in computer rooms. They are very efficient but still need a good supply of water. It will bring wort to pitching temp in no time but it is relative to the amount of water you pump through it to take the heat away.

I honestly wouldn't use it as a wort chiller unless you were to thoroughly chemically clean it after every use.

A tube in tube heat exchanger is always the best option if cooling liquids with impurities.

Latest posts

Back