shiraz concentrate for sour beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huez said:
You also dont get rose from just fermenting shiraz juice, they let it sit in the skins for a few days to pick up the colour.
Juice with skin contact is still juice, it's just pink (or dull reddy brown if you didn't add sulphite)

Skin contact is usually a few hours, not a few days. We generally go for about 6 hours. If you leave it too long it picks up phenolics and the risk of it ticking in the settling tank or in transport becomes too great (a fair proportion of the Shiraz juice we prep is for other wineries).

timmi9191 said:
And..

SO2 is not a sulphite what part of that needs more explanation?

I also explained sulphites occurs naturally in grapes.

So whose is bigger??
News to me. There is sulfate in juice but I'm not aware of any sulfite. Sulfur chemistry of wine is what i do. Sulfite in the form of PMS is added to grapes in the picking bins in most vineyards so it's there from the start but that's added, not naturally occurring.

I'm always up for new evidence so if you have some that can show sulfite is naturally occurring in grapes that would be very interesting. It would have significant ramifications on my research and since we're currently writing funding applications, new information in this area is very useful.

Back