Shipping Beer From The U.s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at this site the other day,
http://www.hitimewine.com/istar.asp?a=29&d...search=domestic

Might be worth asking them to quote you postage to get an estimate. There are some great beers on the site.. Alesmith.. Stone Brewing.. Sierra Navada the list goes on. One day when i have some money i'll pay postage for a mixed slab

It's my understanding that the united states postal service do not like shipping booze, and that one of the private courier companies is the way to go.

But, I don't know for sure. Your best bet is to go to their websites and check for yourself.

The only real advice I have for shipping beer is to pack it well. Pack it very well. Once it's packed, tell your relly to take it to the porch, and throw it off. If they're not broken, it's safe to send.

Kai said:
It's my understanding that the united states postal service do not like shipping booze, and that one of the private courier companies is the way to go.
[post="60405"][/post]​

That is certainly true for internal mail in the US. Some comps are finding it very hard 'cos the US post won't take bottled beer. Fed Ex, and probably the other private couriers, seem to be the go.

What the problems are when it comes to international freight, I can't even pretend to know. But, beer bottles are pressurised CO2 containers, which means they could explode (given the right conditions) so who knows how the US authorities view them on planes?

I wouldnt bother shipping SNPA. Its not worth the cost when we have a better quality product available locally :)

Thats my opinion anyway.

If you're going to spend all that, get something like Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, or Stone IPA.

wee stu said:
What the problems are when it comes to international freight, I can't even pretend to know. But, beer bottles are pressurised CO2 containers, which means they could explode (given the right conditions) so who knows how the US authorities view them on planes?
[post="60406"][/post]​
I think the biggest problem would be the people that don't care (i.e., the people that move it). If it is in a freight plane (converted domestic), I would guess that it would be packed in a pressurised cabin and that maxes out at 6psi. Un-pressurised transport is something I am not sure about, but I think the pressure is only a few psi. Will be interesting to find out. Will take a look and see if I can find out. :blink:

Found something.
Some web site said:
At sea level, one square-inch of any surface has about 15 pounds of air sitting on top of it. At 18,000 feet, that same square inch has only 7.5 pounds per square-inch (psi) exerted on it.
There is still pressure on all surfaces of the bottle at roughly 18,000 feet, I wonder what it is at 36,000ft. Maybe half again. Besides you can get beer on in flights. My fear is still the lowest common denominator, the person who does not care about your package.

Latest posts

Back