Shipping Beer Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering what the best way to get some bottles of my homebrew to a friend overseas would be...

If I post them is there a good or bad way to package them?

I'll be flying over there soon too so could possibly take it with me... not sure it would be a good idea to pack it in my suit case but could possibly take it on as carry on -will the airlines allow this? Or will they think I'm a terrorist with a couple of molatov cocktails....

Where abouts do you get those styrofoam packs that fit 2 wine bottles in them? Aus Post or bottleshops? and do they fit the 640ml homebrew bottles?

thanks,
Rich

Use the Coopers PET bottles , only way to go with postage

Batz

QUESTION: "Where abouts do you get those styrofoam packs that fit 2 wine bottles in them? Aus Post or bottleshops? "

ANSWER: Auspost :D

Hmmm.... might have to get some for future batches...
Is it possible to siphon from a glass bottle to a PET bottle and recap without ruining the beer?

The enemy of finished beer is oxygen. Syphoning carbonated fluid would be a sure recipe for oxygenation. By all means give it a go, but have a beer jug ready to catch and drink the contents.

Even getting beer from a keg with a counterflow bottler is tricky.

Was following a thread between very experienced comp winners in the US, they have gone back to bottling rather than counter flow filler for their comp beers.

As someone who has carried/shipped beers from the UK to Australia a couple of times, my advice would be to take them as hand luggage if the airline will allow it.
If they get put in the baggage hold, they tend to explode at low pressure/altitude. I lost nearly a dozen cans of Boddingtons & Theakstons this way once, though to be fair I think the Boddies were "widget" cans, with a nitrogen bulb inside.
Also lost a few stubbies another trip, though this could have been simple breakage.
Nothing better than going halfway round the world and seeing beer dripping out of your suitcase in luggage collection. Unless it's having to wash ALL your clothes on day one of your trip.
Would assume the same would apply if you send them airmail.

Thanks everyone.
I think I'll get a couple of these winepaks
and then take them on as hand luggage.
If I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and then put them into the winepak it should hopefully prevent breakage and provide some liquid containment if they do break or pop...
I was thinking people buy beer and wine duty free and take it onboard so it must be OK.

I only want to take 2 or 3 bottles.

thank,
Rich

In these days of increased security, hand luggage gets lost of scrutiny.

I know of someone recently travelling ona domestic flight from the Gold Coast to Sydney with a bottle of homebrew had it taken, reason stated, they couldn't gaurantee the % alcohol, and this posed a risk to passengers.

So maybe commercialy sealed bottles get the ok, and homebrew is seen as a risk. It could be some sort of chemical that could be used as a bomb.

Hmmm.... well maybe I'll seal the winepak up with packing tape and stick it in my suitcase....

pint of lager - was that airport security or the airline that took the homebrew? If it was the airline which one? I'm not sure who I'm flying with yet but can check when I know

Bit of a silly rule really... no reason someone can't take a bottle of rum and stick a rag in it and make a weapon...

Rich

pint of lager said:
I know of someone recently travelling on a domestic flight from the Gold Coast to Sydney with a bottle of homebrew had it taken, reason stated, they couldn't gaurantee the % alcohol, and this posed a risk to passengers.
How utterly ridiculous! In any case, just bottle in bottles with lables on: how do they know my weizen isn't Schoefferhofer? What are they going to do, open it? :)

I travelled from Karratha to Perth to Adelaide with 6 homebrew bottles in my hand luggage , then back to Perth with another 6 of GMKs

No problems at all

Batz

I've travelled to NZ and back with PET bottles full of beer, as well as to Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne and US to Sydney all in hand lugage with no worries or hassles.

I've posted beer around the country in PET bottles and to NZ with probs also.
Posting overseas you must fill in the green form and I just put Product Samples as the contents. Haven't had any problems with that either.

Beers,
Doc

I gave a friend some beer to take back home and she carried it on as hand luggage. The airport security made her have a sip out of each bottle to prove it was just beer.

Cheers
Pedro

Well the beer I want to take is in glass bottles so I ain't going to have a capper handy to recap them if they make me take a sip out of each bottle.... I'm thinking well padded and well wrapped in the luggage may be the way to go...

less hassle in the long run as long as they don't pop and as long as I can fit them into my suitase...

thanks again for all the advice and experiences

Rich

I do a fair bit of flying and there is a big difference in security if the flight is going to the States compared to ther places. I wouldnt try to get any on a plane to the States. Last time I flew to LA, they pulled up a lady who had a bottle of expressed breastmilk for her baby for the flight. Wouldnt let her on unless she took a swig from the bottle to prove it wasnt acid. She understandably got pretty upset, and I think she ended up missing the flight.

Latest posts

Back