Shelf life of Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
Earlier this year I scored 3 x D sized bottles of Co2 ,plus kegs etc.
Now these bottles are stamped 1994 so are passed their test dates etc but, the bloke I bought them from said they were refilled around 2002. So is/would the gas still be usable?, does it spoil etc.
Don’t want to waste it as 3 of these would keep me going for a long time.
Hoping it’s fine so I can go head down,bum up and brew up for Xmas.
Cheers...spog.

This is a joke right? Everyone knows that gas from 2002 will turn your beer green and put hairs on your wife's chest. Don't do it..... 2003 would be fine, but 2002 was a bad year for CO2

:fallingoffchair:

Seriously though unless you super heat your gas bottles (to the point they would explode) the CO2 is not going to react with other things (ie the bottle it's stored in).

Should be no problems. Co2 fire extinguishers have a used by date only because overtime they lose pressure.

The gas will be fine but I'd be worried about the safety of the bottles, especially if you don't know where they've been stored. The reason bottles have a date code is to ensure that the bottle itself isn't compromised by corrosion etc.

When I got back into brewing a couple of years ago, I found half a bottle of CO2 from the late ‘90’s amongst my stuff. Used it on numerous occasions since without any issue with flavour. The full keg from the same era did not have the same result......

Cheers for the info, I could have googled it but for 2 reasons.
1. It’s info for all here.
2. I’m a lazy *******.

So win for me. I already have 3 kegs,reg and fridge tap but the deal I grabbed was the 3x D size bottles ( full) , 1x small gas bottle about 2kg, 4 kegs, 3 Regs and 5 taps for the princely sum of $250:00.
My son wants a keg setup so we are both happy, then he drink his own and leave mine alone.

Latest posts

Back