Shattered Erlen Meyer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
I was boiling water on an electric stove and the whole bottom of the flask cracked and water went everywhere.

Now I had just been cleaning it with a green scrubby inside and out.

Flask was still wet on the bottom when i put it on the element, so i was hearing some crackling of that water drying.

Any got experience cracking these and what was the most likely cause?

24whh6r.jpg

Cracked a few. They are very tough and hard when heated/cooled etc but quite brittle when in contact with something on the wrong angle. Everyone I've broken has been gently knocked against a water tap or similar.

At $20-30 a pop, I learned to take extreme caution.

Lost one yesterday to the floor, 2l of excess APA, kitchen smells nice now though.
I think uneven heating is often the cause on an electric element, too much stress as one area expands slightly.

On the lookout for another if anyone has a good tip. I don't use mine on the stove as my stove is old and dodgy. When they break, they really break, got glass everywhere.

Ive got the same brand of flask, but in 3L, and often wondered whether I could use directly on a stove element. Do many people do this, or use a vessel such as a saucepan of water as a buffer ? I know someone who puts directly into a glass top stove with no problem, but direct to element I have been cautious to dat.

[quote name='Where's Jim?' post='929811' date='Jun 30 2012, 02:34 PM']How's the quality? I'm a bit reluctant as they seem to be far more expensive everywhere else.[/quote]

They aren't perfect, but I don't intend to use it on the stove. You can see about 10 airbubbles in the 1L one I bought. You aren't really supposed to use these on an electric stove (there's a warning above the pricing for them on the KK price list), maybe one of those cheapo butane cookers might be the go.

I have a bung and airlocks galore, so it's more the shape of the vessel for me.

I just read some old posts suggesting that having water between the element and the glass creates super hot spots. that would explain mine.
I prefer to use the flask out of the BBQ wok burner as its gas but when it windy it takes a decade to boil.

Sily me, I'll be making sure the bottom is very dry before using next time.

3rd post

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=34674

after the amount of flasks ive boiled dry (or close to cleaning them etc) ive come to the decision to only use them for culturing, boiling of wort and cleaning of my current flasks is all done away from a flame. This will probably continue until i notice an infected starter but so far so good. Oh and no broken flasks after only a handful of uses. :D

My 2 litre erlenmyer cracked whilst sitting directly on the flame. My lhbs replaced it free of charge and after calling the manufacturer they suggested that it is best to have the flask sitting on a piece of steel mesh which distributes the heat from the flame more evenly. I now do this and haven't had any problems

On the lookout for another if anyone has a good tip. I don't use mine on the stove as my stove is old and dodgy. When they break, they really break, got glass everywhere.

Livingstone International have good prices on borosilicate flasks. They are located around Waterloo/Rosebery/Alexandria area

Livingstone International have good prices on borosilicate flasks. They are located around Waterloo/Rosebery/Alexandria area

I just got a quote from them for a 5L flask - it was about $90, so certainly no cheaper than craftbrewer.

I've been using my 5L Keg King flask on the electric stove :huh: havent had any problems so far! I didn't realise they advise against it! Might have to start using my portable gas burner instead to be safe.

I just read some old posts suggesting that having water between the element and the glass creates super hot spots. that would explain mine.
I prefer to use the flask out of the BBQ wok burner as its gas but when it windy it takes a decade to boil.
Yep, that would have been what I suggested the problem was.
In addition while the flasks are flat on the inside they are not usually on the outside, most larger sized flasks have a lip on the bottom, which contributes to the creation of potential hot-spots when its heated on a flat electric element.

As Jay Cee alluded to above Borosilicate are the way to go as they are much tougher than normal glass, although not bulletproof. Erlenmeyer refers to the shape of the flask but not all are borosilicate.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-borosilicate-glass.htm

charst. was yours borosilicate? i thought simex was. i boil mine gently on the stove and keep an eye out cause they boilover easily.

charst. was yours borosilicate? i thought simex was. i boil mine gently on the stove and keep an eye out cause they boilover easily.

As far as I know it was, got it from a LHBS so assumed so, not had trouble before. I really think it came down to me no wiping the water off the bottom prior to setting it on the element. element was raised from cold with flask on it but the moisture seems to be the issue. I still have a 3 litre so no major, but annoying as stepping starters required a few flasks.

I got some borosilicate 'flask' jars from Target for ~5 buck a pop before they closed the range off. 1.5L and 2L versions, quite tough too, come with a silicone bung :)
Have dropped mine full of boiling water in the kitchen sink, nothing shattered... No bubbles in the glass anywhere. I guess they were way too good for the price Target was selling them for, explains the discontinuation!

I use the Keg King ones, have a 1ltr and 2ltr flasks, they are great. Greensbrough homebrew as em Charst if you need one fast.
I always use mine on gas burners, still gotta be careful...I wipe mine down before use every time.

charst. was yours borosilicate? i thought simex was.

As far as I know it was, got it from a LHBS so assumed so, not had trouble before.

My Simax is borosilicate, so I assume Charst's is also. Regular glass, such as the very handy 2L V8 bottles will not survive through fast temperture variance between boiled liquid and a cold external bath. Buyer of labware need to ask the question of the supplier, as many scientific suppliers sell regular glass items that look like their borosilicate original styles.

Latest posts

Back