Sg Readings On Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchman82

Reaction score
Hey all.

just put a brewcraft stout in the other day (my first stout ever in 10 brewing years) so i sought some hbs advice, it was a can of their brewcraft import stout, with a massive bag of stout enhancer (god knows what was in it, but i could tell there was light malt, dextrose, hops, and brown sugar -ithink- ) i also put 250g of lactose in there and 10mls of liqoriche extract (spelling). My OG is 1.045, from what ive read, thats a bit low is it not?? for a heavier beer i mean.

hope ive done it right, its up here in sticky townsville and its been like 33 for the last 3 days. the fermentation only lasted 2 days... bubbled like mad. havent taken a reading yet, had to goto work, but im a bit worried about it.

any ideas on this? random tips?

Cheers

33 really is too hot, even in s stout there is still a chance of geting some undesireable flavours showing through in the product.
A "big bag" is a bit vague for assessing the likely og, but 1045 seems reasonable enough for a stout to me.... certainly lighter than I would tend to make them, but not too skinny.

dreamboat

unfortunatley, theres not alot i can do about the temperature around here.

the bag of gear was called a stout booster, and had the ingredients i listed....

my fermenter temp label says its 32degrees

oh, the og was 1050, not 1045... was going from memory,
just took a reading then. it is 1016ish

What the hell does that mean then??????

Was the big bag a kilo? I am sure i was and think the brown sugar may have been dark malt extract?

With the lactose i am unsure what your FG should be, but a stout will finish a bit higher due to the non-fermentable contribution from the dark malts.

I would rouse the stout by either swirling or shaking the fermenter or stirring the yeast up with sanitised brewpaddle, that might make it drop a couple more points.

I would rack off the yeast cake ASAP after the ferment definitely finished.

Jovial Monk

true it could have been dark malt, it just had that "sticky" consistency of brown sugar. i am about to run downstairs and do a shake up of it, then ill probably leave it for a day to see if it has changed sg. then rack it.

your OG may be all over the place if the wort is not mixed up well. eg taken from the top might be watery, or thick at the tap etc

how many Lt you make it to? i tended to back off to 18Lt in a 22Lt kit

and at 32 ooow might be a tad warm... lucky its a stout and it might cover up the high alc/fermentation flavours

it should be ok, so enjoy

hehehehe I had someone come in the shop a few weeks ago, wanted to know what yeast works best at 35C!!! He lives in Broome, I told him better get an old fridge. . .

JM

Back