Sg Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
I brewed a base beer on the 29th oct and split it into two batches pitching one with a london ale wyeast 1028 and the other with a Heffe wyeast -cant remember the no#

the london ale was pitched at an og of 1052 and today 17/11/05 I took a reading of 1018. I havent racked it as yet but have left it alone to do it's thing so I am a little surprised that it is not down further considering the time it has been in the fermenter. I have been worried about the temp fluctuations over it's fermentation period (18 up to 28 or so) and have also noted that there is still some pressure in the airlock.

The Heffe had an og 1054 and is today measuring 1016.

So the question is should I leave them another week? Should I do a secondary or should I just keg them and gas them up?

Hi Merc,

Take a reading in 2 days time, If it hasn't moved then they are finished. I would think that after more than 2 weeks the fermentation would have finished. If your mash temp was high 67c or above then you can expect them to finish with a higher gravity.
If they are finished I would keg the heffe straight away to retain some of the yeast in suspension (unless you want a Krystal Heffe). The london ale yeast one I would secondary for a week in the fridge to drop out the yeast and clear up the beer.

Cheers
Andrew

Mercs Own said:
So the question is should I leave them another week? Should I do a secondary or should I just keg them and gas them up?
[post="91187"][/post]​

I vote keg and gas them up. :beerbang:

Warren -

69C is way to high need's to be down 66 or there abouts

I often mash at 68C to 69C. This temp range will produce a less fermentable wort, but a more full bodied beer. Merc, your FGs look fine to me.

I usually rack my beers to another container to allow the yeasties a bit of time to drop out of suspension and for the beer to condition as a whole. However, this is personal preference. A cloudy beer has never hurt anyone. If it tastes good now, you might as well drink it.

Cheers
Bagnol

Merc,

If you split the base, how did you end up with two different OG's? Did you dilute the londan ale down slightly?

Ideally I would like better attenuation than what you have for both of those, but since you mashed high they might be finished. One of the benefits of kegging is you can just gas and drink, no worrying about bottle bombs from unfinished ferments.

I'd watch those ferment temps too! It's easy to get caught with your pants down as summer rolls in.

Kai, no idea why the difference in the og's - I was surprised by it but not overly concerned. They were not at the exact same temperature so that could have caused a difference - one was 16 and half litres the other 15 they also had different juice in them at the same amount - one peach the other apricot - lastly it could have just been my eye sight!

Tangent - I havent got my refractometer yet and I am sure that would have helped. I dont know what happened to the bulk buy that GMK was going to do???? Probs with paypal? It may be time I joined up with ebay and bought one!

Merc - I think GMK is still having hassles with Paypal.
I just ordered mine from the ebay link he listed - but i had to get my brother to pay with his paypal acct because I don't have one.
Might be worth chasing Ken up on it.
Peach in beer is good, and mango. Dunno about apricot, seems to go a bit dry and smelly. Let me know how yours turns out.
Cheers

Back