Severe Banana Scented Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some help/advice (yes, again)

Put down what will be my last kit before we move on and up the chain, had some bits and pieces to get rid of.

So,
1 x Muntons Wheat kit
1 x Coopers Wheat LME tin
WB06 yeast.
No boil, just added the goops, got the temp down to 22 then pitched the rehydrated and started yeast (rehydrated in warm water then a couple of spoons of dextrose boiled up and added in to ensure some foaming action)
Added carb enzyme and gave it a stir before pitching the yeast.
Oh, and threw in about 15g corriander seeds on day 2
Settled down to 18 degrees by about day 3

Now, 2 days on and bubbling away nicely (some might say frantically) but there is an alarmingly strong banana smell coming out of the airlock, I sort of expcted a slight banana nose with the WB06 but it is pretty strong.

Should i be concerned ? I suppose there's nothing i can do now but brew it and drink it but always nice to have a bit of feedback.

Cheers

josh

I found WB06 not to be very bananaey at all. I got the clove in moderate amounts, but the lack of banana was a disappointment to me. I wanted more.

Ferment Temps were similar to yours.

Maybe just one of those smells during ferment, and it'll settle down come bottling/drinking time.

Goomba

From my experience the key to Banana is under pitching and under oxygenating.

I agree with Goomba that I have not experienced any Banana at all from WB06. But then I haven't tried the above with it.
Maybe that's what you did? (old yeast, not hydrated, wort not aerated).

But maybe it comes down to other factors too, or it will die off once fermentation finishes.

Keep us updated.

Keep us updated.

Updated you say? Certainly.

Bottled this on the weekend after 3 weeks in fermenter and the banana scent had almost completely subsided. I say almost as there was stil a definite fruit to it but nothing I wouldn't expect from fresh beer, seems to be more peach/pear than banana.

Bottling taste test was not bad at all, the usual thinness but a real bouquet of back flavours that hopefully will mellow and develop some complexity over time.

To answer questions, I did rehydrate the yeast (then proofed it with dex) and had it to approx the right temp before pitching (24 - 26). Wort was aerated (shaking and stirring till frothy). I may have stressed the yeast out by adding a dry carb enzyme though. I'll be giving those a rest and see what difference it makes.

Proof will be in the pudding though. Soon as it firms up in the bottle I'll crack one and see how we go.

Cheers, Happy drinking.

Avoid the enzyme in a wheat....you want body. Before drinking it, roll the bottle and stir the yeast back into suspension. It'll taste more like how a wheat should taste.

Opinion only.

Martin

thread resurrection. Actually more of a cold case solution theory.

There is evidence that dextrose is a great source of precursor for banana ester (isoamyl acetate), and maye the dex in the starter was the source of the banana? Just sayin'...

Banana Weizen Linky

Latest posts

Back