Seven Hills Beer Factory Knocks Off Braidwood Esb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm telling old news, but my computer is too slow to research!

I was able to knock off work in time to take the boss to lunch at the Royal Cricketers Arms behind the drive in at Blacktown this arvo.

When I got there I got to the bar the conversation went something like this:

"Can I help you?" :icon_chickcheers: asked the lady behind the bar
"Yes, Do you still serve casks of Braidwood ESB here?" Asked Jazzafish.
:huh: "The what?" Asked the lady.
"Never mind, what beer do you have available?" I ask.
"Well, we have Coopers light, Coopers Pale and James Squire Amber Ale." She says while pointing to the 4 taps.
"What is on that?" I ask pointing to the spare font as another barmaid walks up to the bar.
"Nothing at the moment." replies the first lady. "Actually, it used to be the Braidwood ESB." Interrupted the second barmaid, "But it rarely sold and went off." She continued. "Soon it will have the extra hop something... from the beer factory." She said.
"As in the Seven Hills Beer Factory?" I questioned.
"Yeah thats the one, do you know it? The guy from there was just here to finalise it." She replied.
"I know of the beer factory, but can't say I have tried the beer." I reply before ordering a couple of JSAA's.
"Well you better come back and taste it." She said as we finalised our transaction.

So there you have it. Braidwood ESB is no longer on sale at the Cricketers Arms, and the Seven Hills Beer Factory has stepped out of the brew on site side of things and gone to a commercial extract brewery.

Well when they were charging $150 for a batch i can't see them winning too many HB customers!

There is a bill before the house that will rectify the cellar door situation as it stands .... you never know ...

I go to the cricketers arms reasonably regularly, mainly to see if they have the ESB on, but they rarely did. I'm not surprised they took it off though - the last few times I tried it, it had gone VERY sour and was a real disappointment. Whilst I would prefer them to have fresh ESB, I'm interested to see how the Beer Factory products go through a beer engine. I've had a couple of beers from there and whilst they weren't magnificent, some of the darker ales turn out nicely.

I think the problem with the Beer factory is that their bottling method causes the beer to stale very quickly - in my experience they're no good after a month or two, even if refrigerated for most of that time. So hopefully a cask conditioned beer will turn out better and will make it worthwhile going to the cricketers arms again.

I go to the cricketers arms reasonably regularly, mainly to see if they have the ESB on, but they rarely did. I'm not surprised they took it off though - the last few times I tried it, it had gone VERY sour and was a real disappointment. Whilst I would prefer them to have fresh ESB, I'm interested to see how the Beer Factory products go through a beer engine. I've had a couple of beers from there and whilst they weren't magnificent, some of the darker ales turn out nicely.

I think the problem with the Beer factory is that their bottling method causes the beer to stale very quickly - in my experience they're no good after a month or two, even if refrigerated for most of that time. So hopefully a cask conditioned beer will turn out better and will make it worthwhile going to the cricketers arms again.

They too the spout off and are just using the line. Standard tap now attached

Latest posts

Back