Settings On Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
I've got one of these
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/html/Products/50386.html
I have the high pressure reg with it

and its always been a real hassle to get it cranking at its fullest setting.
Either only half the ring burns or its a low flame!

Are there any tips and tricks to getting these set up adjusted and running properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yeah I've had a look around on the forum- perhaps some modification will sort it. I'm thinking of taking to it with a drill

Mike,
I think it was bigfella that posted about the Rays ones about a year ago. He seemed to be having the same problems.
I have had a look at the ones in Rays and from memory the regulator is not the same as the one below. This is the one that comes with the nasa burners.
I reckon if you get a regulator like this it will work fine. The frame and gas outlet look pretty much like whats on the nasa's.

MVC_009F.JPG

Iam guessing the same thing. There is another size regulator above the normal high pressure regulator which you have, we all use a 'very very' :blink: high pressure regulator.

I think nasa burner 'beta' testa chiller found out originally that they don't work with a standard high pressure regulator.

Jayse

jayse said:
Iam guessing the same thing. There is another size regulator above the normal high pressure regulator which you have, we all use a 'very very' :blink: high pressure regulator.

I think nasa burner 'beta' testa chiller found out originally that they don't work with a standard high pressure regulator.

Jayse
[post="59744"][/post]​

As Jayse has pointed out -- the jet burners don't work well at all with the incorrect regulator but if you give them the right amount of gas they are just amazing.

I decided a while back to find a good alternative to the 3 and 4 ring burners and when I started testing the "NASA" it was with a standard high pressure reg but that was no where near the pressure needed. They took forever to get a boil going and the flame was very inconsistant.

The moment I got hold of the correct reg - the world of molten metal and brewer envy took hold.

A bit like ADSL compared to dial-up.

The pic you posted seems very similar to the burners we get here in the brewing capital of the world and if you talk to Sosman if you are in Melbourne he can point you in the direction to get the corect reg.

All the best with the burner they are really the best for Homebrewing I've tested and they are very controllable as i use one under my mash for dirrect heat steps.

Steve.

I agree. Sounds like the wrong regulator. Johnno has kindly posted a pic of the correct reg to use with the NASA jet propulsion unit.

Here's a pic of the common high pressure reg that many people mistakenly use and what Chiller originally tested.

It's fine for giving your standard 2, 3 & 4 ring burners some extra punch but is woefully inadequate for NASAs.

HP_Regulator.jpg

My first ever attachment... hope this works...

Edit: YAY! It worked!

Steve (the not-so technologically challenged) :super:

Thanks Guys
So its the reg!

"The pic you posted seems very similar to the burners we get here in the brewing capital of the world "

Steve
I'm visiting your " brewing capital of the world" this weekend. Should I be heading for Globe imports?- Its on the way from the airport to where I am staying.
to pick up the right reg?

BTW I'm in Sydney

Other Steve here but not to worry...

Globe have usually got them in stock. Around $60 IIRC.

I gave up on my burner. But I did use the reg an my 3 ring and it has given it a good boast.

Bigfella

I have one of those regulators with my nasa burner, works well!

JM

I got the reg from Globe last week but they didn't have the recommended braided hose.
If it is necessary does anyone know where to get one in Sydney?
Thanks

It's fine for giving your standard 2, 3 & 4 ring burners some extra punch but is woefully inadequate for NASAs.

View attachment 2719

So I know what I'm look ing for for my ring burner, what pressure do these unit's run between.

Borret :blink:

mikem108 said:
I got the reg from Globe last week but they didn't have the recommended braided hose.
If it is necessary does anyone know where to get one in Sydney?
Thanks
[post="61804"][/post]​

Mike,
I would get the braided hose. Or even better if you can connect the copper pipe to it like some people have. There are pics of the copper pipe connection in the "Turn up the heat" thread.
I would be really wary of running that burner and regulator with just the regular hose.

cheers
johnno

Back