Setting Up / Tuning The Burner/boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Ok i now have the boiler set up, and the burner .. burning away

for my set up, what is the ideal distance from burner to boiler? hard up?
gap so that it gets air?

do you have a sheild to stop the wind playing havoc with the flame (3rd burner is having a hard time with the wind)

also the flame, whats ideal? all blue, all yellow or blue flame with a hint of yellow

I will have to build a stand to have the boiler above the burner a "set" distance

Pretty close to the bottom of the boiler is ideal. Mine is maybe an inch or two away. Windshields are great, they save gas and decrease heating time by a huge margin. Make one as it will save you heaps of time waiting around. Blue flame is the hottest, yellow is inefficient and soots everywhere blackening up all your stuff. So open the air hole to the maximum.

Go you good thing, go.

JD

sweet!!! this is the info i wanted

I did paint the underside matt black to help but i guess its all burnt now :)

no matter, i might buy some shelfing from bunnings to set it all up on

P.S i will make a wind sheild as you say, to help with gas and time

Justin is bang on there with the windshields , they are a must , will knock heaps off your boil time , and that of course saves gas

you gues use a lid also ontop of the boiler untill it comes to the boil? to speed up the "heating up" stage?

I think i will, then i'll take the lid off to let it evaporate off

FWIW Graham Sanders on Craftbrewer's recommends extending the windshield right up the side of the boiler to increase efficiency.

Yep, lid helps too. But as you said once it's boiling you need to take it off to let the DMS boil off. With your wind shield, maybe consider allowing it to come part way up the sides of the keg as well as down below the burner, if you know what I mean? I din't have a windshield for a while, which is fine if there is no wind but the slightest breeze and all your precious heat is going to heating the world and not your boiler :(. I think the raised sides past the bottom of my keg help concentrate the heat too.

JD

ben,
would you be able to post a pic when you are done? its like window shopping, looking at other set-ups. and who knows, maybe next year i can start building one of my own.
joe

no probs, i just need to sortout some sort of stand.... bunnings tonight

need to hold the HLT top, then mash esky, and boiler on same level (RIMS set up coming)
fermenter fits under this.

I want to be able to pack all the gear back onto the "shelf" i make so i have the wort cooler, grain mill etc all packed away neat together.....

save my ears from the abuse they get due to all my beer gear around the house

Latest posts

Back