Setting up "new" kegs and fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEC26

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

After some advice regarding setting up a "new" 2nd hand kegging/fridge setup . . . . .basically a how to to make sure that what I have is clean and ready to go in a week or so.

Set up is . .
4x 19l corny kegs (lid seals seem sticky)
1x door mounted tap ( dog ugly)
1x gas bottle + line drilled ino the side of the fridge
1 micromatic reg.
QD for both in and out of kegs
Fridge

There is some beer line in the fridge - not sure of the quality/use sanitation.

Same with the kegs, they look OK, but the guy I got it from used to "brew" it at http://www.ubrewit.com.au/our-range-of-beers-mainmenu in Brisbane

My thoughts are

1. New beer lines ( not sure of how much I need/diameter etc)
2. Starsan fo everything
3 New seal kits for kegs
4. No need to replace Co2 lines cos it is just gas.

Am I close?? :D

Suggestions/advice warmly welcomed.

Cheers
Bruce :drinks:

Bueller . . . Bueller . . .

***Tumbleweeds***

I want to do it right . . suggesions??

Cheers :D

Bleach, detergent, hotwater and elbow grease on everything non stainless - bleach will eventually rot stainless.

Clean the kegs with whatever the man at the shop recomends when you pick up your new tubing and seals.

Get more tube and those little clips for the barbed fittings than you think you will need.

Pressure test everything and flush with your choice of sanatiser before going live.

To easy.

Bec,
I don't preach to people what is the "best way" but here is what works for me:

• New lines- gas and liquid- 6mm ID (or 1/4" ID) clear tubing if you are using the standard corny disconnects. Bunnings stuff is fine. I just use cable ties instead of hose clamps.
  • Depressurize, pull the lid off the keg and hose out as best as possible with garden hose.
  • 30min soak with sodium percarbonate made the insides shine for me. Tip upside down at some point to get into the gas post and everything.
  • I use Sodium percarbonate because it cleans, sterilizes and is good on staino. Avoid bleach and avoid pink stain remover.
  • Connect the taps and gas and run a litre or so of cleaning solution through.
  • Disconnect, depressurize, pull the lid off and rinse out thoroughly with garden hose.
  • Run a few litres of clean water through the taps.
  • Leave the liquid line full of water or full of CO2- it does not matter
  • Fill the keg with beer- carb it and away you go.
I have never sterilized gas lines. It has never been a problem.

Freek

Edit- forgot to mention that unless you have flow control you will need to ensure you have an appropriate amount of liquid line hose. 3m works best with my setup. Search the threads for "balancing keg system". There is a spreadsheet getting around.

Freek, great advice and simple. I love heat on stainless, at about your bullit #6 I run a kettle or 2 of boiling thru....... not thru the lines they will kink. The heat n pressure is enough to blow your posts IMO. Again good post

Not to hijack the post but on a related topic:
I have a fitting background and along with that comes a tendency is to grease the hell out of any seal or fitting.
I am aware though that grease and oils kills beer head so I have been trying to avoid contact with grease and anything that touches beer.
I would love to apply some grease to my ball lock disconnects and the rubber on the depressure valve but have been scared to.

Is this a legitimate concern?
Does anyone know enough on why grease has this effect beer head?

Freek

freek said:
Bec,
I don't preach to people what is the "best way" but here is what works for me:

• New lines- gas and liquid- 6mm ID (or 1/4" ID) clear tubing if you are using the standard corny disconnects. Bunnings stuff is fine. I just use cable ties instead of hose clamps.
  • Depressurize, pull the lid off the keg and hose out as best as possible with garden hose.
  • 30min soak with sodium percarbonate made the insides shine for me. Tip upside down at some point to get into the gas post and everything.
  • I use Sodium percarbonate because it cleans, sterilizes and is good on staino. Avoid bleach and avoid pink stain remover.
  • Connect the taps and gas and run a litre or so of cleaning solution through.
  • Disconnect, depressurize, pull the lid off and rinse out thoroughly with garden hose.
  • Run a few litres of clean water through the taps.
  • Leave the liquid line full of water or full of CO2- it does not matter
  • Fill the keg with beer- carb it and away you go.
I have never sterilized gas lines. It has never been a problem.

Freek
Is the pink stain remover you say not to use vanish napisan ? It's main ingredient is sodium percarbonate and I use it, just curious if it's the one you are referring to.

Dont know anything about napisan. Pink stain remover "PSR" is its own product.

for the sake of a couple of dollars do replace the gas lines as well they maywell have had a back flow issue at some time

freek said:
Not to hijack the post but on a related topic:
I have a fitting background and along with that comes a tendency is to grease the hell out of any seal or fitting.
I am aware though that grease and oils kills beer head so I have been trying to avoid contact with grease and anything that touches beer.
I would love to apply some grease to my ball lock disconnects and the rubber on the depressure valve but have been scared to.

Is this a legitimate concern?
Does anyone know enough on why grease has this effect beer head?

Freek
Get some food grade keg lube and go for your life, grease away!!

Back