setting up kegs - which fittings etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
I have got my hands on a few (4) kegs and a gas bottle. I now need to get all the fittings and beer lines. I have had a look online and didn't realise there would be so many types/different setups/price differences etc. I have a chest freezer which is currently full of meat so it will be set up in a fridge until I empty the freezer. I plan to add a collar and have 3-4 kegs on tap depending on what I can fit. For now I am happy using the one pluto gun and some cheap plastic taps until I set up the keezer. Advise for what I will require, types and places of purchase is appreciated I am located in Brisbane but am happy to order online from a reliable seller. Thanks.

Go see Ross at craftbtewer in capalaba (?) He will sort you out.

Reccomend not being tight on the taps, get perlick etc

I'm nearing completion of my keezer. Having experienced the pain and frustration of barb fittings I would recommend to anyone to get the john guest fittings. Much easier and safer to use. In time I will swap these in.

I skimped on the basics and bought from keg king in Victoria.

- 4 beer disconnects
- 4 gas disconnects
- 4 way gas manifold
- drip tray
- temperature controller

I forked out on perlick 650ss and ordered direct from the states. Well worth the investment. As a new brewer you will probably over carb a beer and or experience pouring issues. Quite simply these taps allow a slow flow to avoid foaming issues.

Where is Brisbane are you? Your welcome to have a look at mine. Will be finished tomorrow.

Located at jamboree heights, western suburbs. I will head out to craft brewer this weekend to check it out.

Depending on the size of your chest freezer you would ideally look at putting the gas bottle on the outside with a tiny hole drilled through the collar for a gas line. Gives you more room inside the freezer and one less thing to put in and pull out.

Drip tray is optional, if its in the garage on a concrete floor, spillage is usually minimal. If its out on a deck or in the house you'll need one. Bare in mind you will need to clean it.

As mentioned save yourself some money and buy EXCELLENT taps straight up. I bought perlics first up and they're great but I am now dreaming of Andale taps.

For the disconnects I have now noticed that you can get them in stainless most retail shops. I cant comment on their performance but it would be worth looking into.

Back