Sestos Pid Probe Fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I've got one of those SESTOS pids from ebay, where you buy it as a pack with a K Type probe.

Something like this.

This morning I noticed the external shielding down towards the probe was white and powdery. When I had a close look at the probe itself, it is rusty! :icon_vomit:

I should have paid for an Auber Instruments one.

QldKev

I've got one of those SESTOS pids from ebay, where you buy it as a pack with a K Type probe.

Something like this.

This morning I noticed the external shielding down towards the probe was white and powdery. When I had a close look at the probe itself, it is rusty! :icon_vomit:

I should have paid for an Auber Instruments one.

QldKev

Sad face.

Sometimes saving X amount ends up costing a lot more from my experience...

Hey kev I went straight to PT100 so I have the 2 original K types that I got with my SESTOS PID.

I owe you for your help with setting them up so they are your if you want them.

If the Sestos will accept a PT100, get one.

More accurate than a K type thermocouple, which we use at work for measuring boiler tube temps (>500 degC). Great for very high temps, not accurate enough for brewing.

Cheers
Dan

Pretty sure KBB received the same advice when he was building his control box.

Yeah the pt100 is deadly accurate AND I got those quick disconnects on my control box which make it so god damn easy to move around.
Thoroughly recommend.

Kev,
I bought a sesto pid just like that too with the same sensor, I never used the sensor but ordered some PT100 's from auberins and plugged that on and it works a treat.
I have another one left that's brand new and yours inc. postage for 40 bucks. 2.5 inch probe with 1/2 inch npt thread.
Let me know.

You still trying to sell those things pratty?

the K types aren't all that wonderful, but they'll do the job. Or they have for me for a number of years anyway.

Rusty - well, you shouldn't have got it wet. Those probes aren't waterproof and dont even really look like they're going to be.

Me - I wrenched the actual thermocouple out of the probe casing (they are tiny and respond to temp changes much more quickly without the mass of metal around them) for fermentation, tape probe directly to fermenter surface... for brewhouse, inserted into a very thin walled thermowell.

Mind you - my project for tomorrow morning is to replace my current K type with a pt100 - nice quality and i helped pratty reduce his stockpile :) I'm looking forward to the higher resolution readout and hopefully tighter control. You can buy quite economical pt100s off ebay though that will do the job nicely.

Hey kev I went straight to PT100 so I have the 2 original K types that I got with my SESTOS PID.

I owe you for your help with setting them up so they are your if you want them.

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to grab the one from Partty and hook it up permanently.

Kev,
I bought a sesto pid just like that too with the same sensor, I never used the sensor but ordered some PT100 's from auberins and plugged that on and it works a treat.
I have another one left that's brand new and yours inc. postage for 40 bucks. 2.5 inch probe with 1/2 inch npt thread.
Let me know.

pm sent

QldKev

Back