Session IPA formula

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef_g

Reaction score
Hey guys

thought I'd share. Have been making a few 5% hoppy pale ales, or session IPA's as I've seen them from some american craft breweries recently. Formula has been pretty simple and have now used it with many hop combinations.

coopers traditional draught
1.5 kg dry malt
200g crystal malt steeped
50g choc malt steeped
30g of hops @ 20 min
20g of hops @ 10 min
20g of hops @ 5 min
20g of hops keg hopped
US05 yeast

have used plenty of hop varieties in different combinations including galaxy, centennial, amarillo, chinook, simcoe and mosaic. all fantastic beers so far.

most combos I've done come in at between 55 and 60 ibu doing a 10L boil.

I went to bright brewery in March and they were doing a fantastic light IPA. Lots of malt flavours and balanced hops which made up for the light beerness

I'm just getting into the bottles of a very traditional IPA that I made a month ago. With great lashings of Fuggles and Goldings
all across a 30 min boil it's a really good drop. The LHBS didn't have EKG so I used Whitbread Goldings and it turned out really great.

Those American IPA varieties are all nice, but it's hard to beat a truly and fully British IPA. yeast - I used a couple of Muntons
sachets I had lying around so still British.

With 3 abv levels I have a session version at 5%, a drivers version at 3.25% and a special brewers version at 7%.
The 7% ONLY comes out for fellow brewers.

Latest posts

Back