Serving Coopers Pale Ale With Or Without Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagungal

Reaction score
Just looking for advice and how people think the right way to serve Coopers Pale Ale should be.

I was at a classy resturant and before going to tables, a group of us was having a few beers in the bar area beforehand.

I order a Coopers Pale Ale, the guy grabs it and tips it up and down - and rolls it around - mixing the sediment in.

I showed a little shock but just accepted it, thinking he must know his stuff - but I am now thinking maybe not.

So what do you reckon ... was this waiter right in mixing the sediment in ?? or just being a tossa ??

I have always just opened it up and drank it, never seen anyone shake them about before..

Pour it off the sediment like you would your beer. Leave a bit in the bottle for that final shot of yeast.

I vote Tossa!

there was an add campaign years ago, you know "cloudy but good" or somesuch, using their bottle conditioning as a selling point. Of course no-one told the punters that the on tap stuff is gassed like everything else and so clear as clear.

Done a few taste tests with people, and have yet to find anyone who prefers mixed. Some Belgians recomend it - they have quite fruity sediment, as opposed to Coopers fairly bitter stuff - OK in a Belgian, bit on the up for a coopers.

I'd bet me left nut that Head Brewer, pours his into a glass carefully!

i do both
hot days like today i dont mix it up
but cold days and sessions i mix it in
mm tasty

I accept your bet of one left nut and raise you two nuts.

Now what shall I mount that left nut upon?
Jayse

maybe an urban myth of sorts as most waiters or barstaff or what ever there called have the habit of tipping the bottle up and down a few times like its some sort of coppers mantra on serving ettiquite.

cheers
big d

bottlerocket said:
i do both

[post="89481"][/post]​

I agree. I have been known to drink it cloudy (usually due to trying to get every last drop!) as well as clear as per pouring a home brew. Different flavours, no question, but both good. I find the cloudy version more full-bodied and fruity. Sometimes, to my tastes, the decanted version tastes a little lifeless.

jayse said:
I accept your bet of one left nut and raise you two nuts.

Now what shall I mount that left nut upon?
Jayse
[post="89490"][/post]​

Fold!

I dont have enough nuts to continue on this high roller table!

Most places I've drunk Coopers in, have shaken the bottle - Can't say I've really done a taste test both ways... maybe next time...

I do both,

If Im drinking straight from the bottle I like to mix it in otherwise it just gets stronger and stronger towards the bottom.

But drinking out of a glass I pour it off.

Both. Occasionally bar staff ask "rolled or not?" Drinking the sediment makes me fart like a demon though.

NRB said:
Both. Occasionally bar staff ask "rolled or not?" Drinking the sediment makes me fart like a demon though.
[post="89508"][/post]​
ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Somebody has finally cracked onto the real reason for drinking yeasty beers: to annoy the missus with a dutch oven or 2.

Coopers SA + Sediment + Vindaloo. :ph34r:

Warren -

fart.jpg

pharmaboy said:
Of course no-one told the punters that the on tap stuff is gassed like everything else and so clear as clear.
[post="89480"][/post]​
I'm not an expert on this but I thought the Cooper's ales were conditioned in the keg also. Hence why you sometimes get those really meaty super cloudy pints. That is all I have to base that assumption on though.

Back on topic, I'm not really fussed. I would normally pour it off the sediment but I'm not offended by it being mixed up.

There isn't a beer on the planet I would prefer to drink mixed with the sediment, but most barmen do like to think they are the keepers of all knowledge and they should tell YOU how you are supposed to drink it. Either that or they think it's like orange juice.

There was a time when every time I had a Redback it would come with a lime stuffed in the top. Grrr. At least that's passed.

Yeah, ive seen sparkiling on tap where one glass is o.k., then the next few glasses become a really dark brown colour. DOnt know if its sediment, but theres definatley something on the bottom of the keg.

I think the bar staff should be told to ask the customer what they want done with the beers that have sediment.
It is quite clear that some like it swirled/stirred and other prefer it poured off the sediment.
I prefer it slowly poured off the sediment and to be very honest, I get a little pi55ed off when the bar staff start spinning the bottle around in their hands.

the local pub up here in hamley bridge has it on tap,when they first crack the keg it can be really muddy to the extent that it looks like you could stand a spoon up in it.then after he has been using it for an hour or so it gradually statrts to clear,if you go in next day it is still cloudy but nowhere near what it was and thats the way it stays until the keg runs dry,its an interesting beer actually ,its one of those beers that you never really know how its going to taste until you try it,this i reckon is what makes it a good beer it is always changing character and i personally like it muddy or cloudy.either way its good,if you want to drink clear beers just stick to the boring on tap commercial mega swill ales
cheers
fergi

Aaron said:
pharmaboy said:
Of course no-one told the punters that the on tap stuff is gassed like everything else and so clear as clear.
[post="89480"][/post]​
I'm not an expert on this but I thought the Cooper's ales were conditioned in the keg also. Hence why you sometimes get those really meaty super cloudy pints. That is all I have to base that assumption on though.

Back on topic, I'm not really fussed. I would normally pour it off the sediment but I'm not offended by it being mixed up.
[post="89530"][/post]​

Looked this up, and you are correct, the ales are keg conditioned (or at the least were in 2004). Whenever I have had one on tap, the clarity has been the same as a bottle poured off the yeast - its never totally clear like a lager due to the yeast.

I obviously havent drunk enough at a pub to get one of the cloudy ones yet, but when getting in the stubby I always intercept the bar staff before the nong starts thinking he is the customer, and gets to decide how its served (PA and an empty glass please!).

Back