Serria Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster808

Reaction score
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 5/14/2005
Style: American Pale Ale Brewer: Brewmaster808
Batch Size: 10.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 12.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 % Equipment: My Equipment 10gallon
Actual Efficiency: 11.9 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
20 lbs 8.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.6 %
2 lbs 10.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.4 %
0.80 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [6.50%] (30 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [6.00%] (0 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops -

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 11.7 SRM (4.0-11.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 % (4.5-5.7 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body Mash Tun Weight: 10.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 23.20 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 9.44 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 29.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes
Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Carbonation Volumes: 2.8 (2.3-2.8 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 15.5 PSI Kegging Temperature: 40.0 F
Pressure Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Looks like a nice recipe, but did you note the Actual Efficiency of 11.9%. What went wrong?

cheers,
PeterS.... :chug:

Looks like it will turn out nicely BM808
If ya look up the Sierra Nevada website, it tells ya what hops they use, and from memory they use perle for their bittering, and dont use magnum, but its been a while since I have been on that site. And is it really only 0.6% alcohol, or is that some sort of typo?
All the best
Trent

My bet is on a type of the OG as 1.010 creating all the errors in Beersmith.

Looks like the same recipe I've come across before and have yet to make - I had an attempt at this recipe as my first AG, but managed to screw it up completely. :angry:

trent it is right that they use magnum now with perle to bitter. The recipe looks good but i would go to about 40 ibu as i like hops

have a few at the wheatie and they'll show you the hop bill and ibus
jaz is right

Sorry about, bad note taking. OG was 1.051 and final 1.018 that should correct all the other data. FG may go lower, but I have had time getting low FG. Color may also be off slightly, normally don't worry about color.

BM808
I am assuming that is meant to say you have a hard time getting low FG? If you are having trouble getting a lower final gravity, maybe you could mash a little lower, maybe at 66C (151F). Or, do you areate the wort well and pitch a large starter? If you didnt do either of these things, possibly you will have trouble getting the FG down a little.
All the best
Trent
EDIT Thanks Jaz for clarifying the hops they use in SNPA, I had no idea they used magnum now aswell. Maybe have to give em a go in an APA one day

11.4% medium crystal is an awful lot for an APA.

I'd have guessed at 5% of something half the colour rating.

808, where did you source this recipe from?

Here's a link to their website, tells you OG + FG and a pic that hints at the colour.

tdh

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/

tangent said:
have a few at the wheatie and they'll show you the hop bill and ibus
jaz is right
[post="95429"][/post]​

How long has SNPA been available at the Wheatsheaf??????
I haven't been there for toooooo long.

shit i missed 11 % cyrstal that is a bit dark for an apa as tdh has said

I noticed it when I first saw the recipe prior to attempting it. My reading up to that point showed APAs having ~5% crystal, but it was my first AG and I looked past it. I'm not sure if it's the high crystal or my incompetence but what I created is not a particularly nice beer on its own, but blended it's drinkable. I've even blended it with soda water and it was quaffable! :wacko:

Back