Septic Safe Cleaners..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
G'day guys... I'm now on acreage and we have a septic system just wanting to know if anyone knows of or uses a septic safe cleaners... Saves filling and walking out the door to empty all the time...

Tim

napisan is safe for septics isnt it?

Not 100% sure... Is it a good cleaner? I've always used chlorine based cleaners..

its the best. Fill up a tub, dump whatever needs cleaning into it and rinse off the next day. Takes everything off.

nah, id use starsan. NOt sure if its septic safe but you use so little that i doubt it would matter. I make up a litre of solution and put it in a spray bottle and spray everything that needs it.

A lot of stuff you read suggests avoiding antibacterials, including napisan.

Don't think napisan is septic safe... Thanks though....

Don't run it through your septic, put it off as grey water into the garden.

An easy fix use it in areas you want to lower ph.

Timryan, by septic safe cleaners I assume you mean cleaning your home brewing area ,gear etc,but also general home cleaning,detergents and so on.
Google Shannon Lush,on her web site are many recipes for " green" cleaners that won't stuff up your septic system or poison the ground or yourself.its interesting reading.
Cheers...spog....

i thought they just used guns for everything, but I don't know if it's all that safe

I believe nappisan is safe for septics, my wife uses it as a soaker and we have never had problem. Bleach is a big no no, that'll stuff your septic real quick.

Batz

Sodium Percaboneate in it's pure form would be, Im not sure about the other detergents etc in Nappisan though? Probably OK, just unsure..

Could always give a plumbing supplies place a buzz just to check?

Wikki Linky

Might be a local council thing up here but don't you have separate septic and grey water tanks ? With ours the grey water just gets pumped out into the garden and the septic into drainage pits, pretty well just piss and shit in the septic tanks that way.

Hi Tim,

I, like you am on land with only a septic system. I did a fair bit of research a couple of months ago on the same issue. I've concluded that like Yob, pure Sodium Percarbonate is fine for septic systems. In fact there is opinion that it might even be beneficial due to the additional oxygen it introduces. Sodium Percarbonate when mixed with water converts to Hydrogen Peroxide and soda ash. Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down to water and oxygen.

I also use Star San which is mostly Phosphoric Acid. In large quantities, it might cause an issue. (by large quantities I mean 10 litres of un-diluted Star San).
In the quantities and dilution rate we use in brewing, it is going to have no effect whatsoever. You can drink the stuff!! Actually Phosphoric Acid is the acid used in Coke. Upon reflection, i'm not sure its safe to drink either!! :p

Latest posts

Back