Selling Fwk's

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

What's the process with selling FWK's as a business. I understand that it would not be a big money spinner when doing it at a home scale but I am just wondering how many hoops you would have to jump through to be able to legally sell a FWK. I know the I want to start my own brewery topic has been done over and over but I cant find any info relevent to selling unfermented wort.

I know the you would need

ABN, Business name, Gst Registered, liability insurance( ? ) etc

But who would you see regarding food inspection and would you need council approval or would that depend on how much you produce. edit = And if I wanted to sell them at the local markets would I need to do anything or would I be just like the old lady that sells her home made jams and preserves?

No I am not starting a business selling FWK but am just curios to the process.

Cheers

What's the process with selling FWK's as a business. I understand that it would not be a big money spinner when doing it at a home scale but I am just wondering how many hoops you would have to jump through to be able to legally sell a FWK. I know the I want to start my own brewery topic has been done over and over but I cant find any info relevent to selling unfermented wort.

I know the you would need

ABN, Business name, Gst Registered, liability insurance( ? ) etc

But who would you see regarding food inspection and would you need council approval or would that depend on how much you produce. edit = And if I wanted to sell them at the local markets would I need to do anything or would I be just like the old lady that sells her home made jams and preserves?

No I am not starting a business selling FWK but am just curios to the process.

Cheers

Council would do all the health inspection stuff. Because you are selling to the public you would need particular food grade gear I assume. Just selling FWK's is an interesting point because it's not alcohol so no breach of the Liquor act that I know of.

you would need a food safety plan that you submit to the council,but in saying that you would need a registered premises that meets council standards as you are producing a food of types.this would cover suppliers that are also registered,waste disposal etcetc.be interesting to see how grain and grape went about it as they are my local HB store and now produce FWK on site.

I would love to run cooking classes from my own home but it just wont happen even though my kitchen is band new.if i do on site catering the client has to buy all the ingredients for me to cook for them that is the loop hole,my service i am supplying is the cooking and serving only not the purchase of said goods.

It would be no different to setting up a small food manufacturing biz.
As stated above, you would need approval from council to "manufacture" a food product for human consumption.
Depending on where you are 'hyperthetically' selling and to whom I'm sure the regs may vary somewhat. Possibly even between states.
It would be a simple question for your local council though... If it were a fair dinkum business their would be a few accreditations you would need to fulfill.

Compared with jams and preserves, wort would be considered a high risk consumable, as any contamination could support pathogens (nasty bacteria) and thus the process would likely need to prove that you have assessed this risk and eliminated it during your manufacturing.
Jams and and conserves are considered low risk as the available water/pH for bacteria are not favourable and if Nan drops her teeth in during production the product may still be ok..for a while.

It would be heaps easier than selling the finished product though

musc

Been covered elsewhere. Have a search.

Its food. Since its not alc dont think of it as beer. Its a small food businrss. Thats all. Simple.

Now as four the business side ur markup is smaller etc. but thats ur business plann issue ro deal with.

Ur first step is speaking with ur local council who enforce state law for food.

I think this falls into the same category as places like ubrewit. From what i recall federal law states that a beverage assumed for human consumption becomes classified as an "alcoholic" beverage when yeast is introduced.

So...your selling funky water at the base of it. Food grade, tasty, comes in multiple flavours...water.

I wonder if you could ferment the FWK, vacuum distill the alcohol off and sell it as 'beer... just add vodka!' kit. :)

I wonder if you could ferment the FWK, vacuum distill the alcohol off and sell it as 'beer... just add vodka!' kit. :)
What do u think bundy ginger beer is? Except they dont market tge add vodka part

Back