Seeking Suggestions for Beer Selection On Tap At A Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brother in law got a new gig managing a pub in the city and asked me for some ideas of some good craft beers to put on, they have 16 taps. I suppose that 4 ish will go to megaswill stuff. still heaps of room tho.

What sort of place is it? Who's the target market?

I'm sure heaps of people will be happy to chime in with their favourite brews, but i think if you provided some more info we'd be able to come up with some proper ideas.

Stone and Wood Pacific ale - Great beer, recently votes best Australian beer by some organisation
Murrays Whale Ale - Very popular up here in Newcastle, great beer, accessible to most megaswill drinkers
Little Creatures Bright Ale - Not as good as it was, but people know it well
White Rabbit Dark Ale

its on oxford st paddington,

they have the pacific ale on tap already,,, very nice.
I also had a white rabit white ale in a bottle...

they also have monteiths dark ale and some euro lagers..

I suggested the LCBA and LCPA,,, Gotta love em

the james squire 150 lashes seems to be popular in the bars. I find it ok to drink but I would go for a better beer if it was on offer. But places I been to have said they go threw it alot faster then they thought they would of.

Hi All,

Brother in law got a new gig managing a pub in the city and asked me for some ideas of some good craft beers to put on, they have 16 taps. I suppose that 4 ish will go to megaswill stuff. still heaps of room tho.

Id stick to local Craft breweries predominately so you know there wouldn't be any supply issues and people do like local. 4 pines, red oak

Pinchgut PILZNER and BLK PLZ - both local and very good. Murrays stuff is popular in Newtown, so shouldn't be too hard to get, St Peters brewery beers (green star lager is OK)

Could have tasty mainstream stuff like Coopers Pale, James Squire Golden Ale, Little Creatures Pale Ale etc

As well as some local heros like Rocks Brewing Hangman Pale Ale and Schwartz Brewery's Schwarzbier

One brewery that hardly ever gets a mention here is Balmain Brewing. Whenever I'm in Sydney I always seek out their Pilsner, nice drop and is an example

of what megaswills could have been like if they had cared. Murrays have a pub at Manly so have a good supply chain down to Sydney now, the Whale Ale is f*n awesome and I wasn't a wheatie till I tried it last

year. They also do a good range of other styles.

White Rabbit Dark Ale, is excellent on tap
Coopers Pale is is still fairly trendy
Fat Yak is always a good drink in fresh kegs, soo much better than the bottled stuff

I would also try and find decent IPA/APA from one of the smaller breweries, something that has a decent level of hops in it.
A nice full bodied Pilsner would be good
A true cloudy and fruity pale ale

Also could be worth having a tap for "beer of the week" and then you could try random kegs to see if they sell well. If so throw it onto a main tap.

XXXX Gold
VB, New, Carlton, Coopers Pale, Stella, Old?
Little Creatures Pale Ale/Bright Ale
White Rabbit Dark Ale
2 Ciders

That's 11 taps taken up for the usual (income generating) suspects, leaving 5 taps available for a rotating roster of nice/seasonal stuff
lager- Spaten or similar. The Germans do lagers best!
wheat- Erdinger or similar. The Germans (mostly) do hefe's best!
IPA- Vale IPA or similar, but not if it's (still) too expensive
Porter/Stout- Schwartz Porter, if they'll sell it to you
Others- i like the BLK PLZ idea, and there's no shortage of local breweries able to supply decent beers.

What's the current 16 tap lineup?

The Line up is,

Calton draught
Hahn Super Dry
Monteith Black
Monteith Apple Cider
Stone And Wood Pacific Ale
Ashai
Stella
Hoegarden
kronenbourg
Beez Neez
James Squire Ambler Ale
Resches
Heineken
Peroni
KilKenny

Already looking 10x better than most pubs! Hmm 4pines brewery is in your area and worth consideration.

Back