Seeking Brown Malt 140ebc substitute or advice for Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering doing a porter from "Brewing classic styles". The trouble is the Brown malt in the recipe is 140EBC (70L) whereas the only brown malt I can get my hands on is the Simpsons Brown which is 400ebc. Can anyone suggest a replacement or adjustment or do I just go with the darker brown? I have access to G&G and KK for grains. Recipe as follows

20.7l in fermenter.

Pale Malt 4.31kg
Brown Malt 0.45kg
Crystal 40L 0.45kg
Choclate 0.284kg

Fuggles 35g 60min
Fuggles 14g 10min

Londan Ale or Danstar Nottingham

thanks for any help

Damian.

Damn said:
I have access to G&G and KK for grains.
You have access to more than that ;)

Great book, 'Brewing Classic Styles' - but 140EBC is a super-light shade for Brown Malt.
You could try a mixture of Simpsons Amber and Brown Malt.

But, to be honest, for a Porter - I reckon you'd be fine with Brown Malt as is.

IMO keep the amount of brown malt the same and adjust the choc down to get the colour right. Simpsons brown is fantastic and really defines the flavour of a robust porter IMO.

Pound pound and half a pound.

It's not like the specialty grains were derived from a complicated formula.

I'd fiddle with the ratio of the grains a bit, reduce the chocolate etc to end up with the same or thereabouts ebc

Thanks Spiesy,

Thanks for the advice and heads up I've recently been looking at your products. Your just a bit out of my travels most times. My sister lives next to g&g and I drive past KK everyday. I will make a mental note though as I occasionaly travel down Bell st.

And you too Yob. I will also keep Brewers Den in mind.

The Thomas Fawset Brown is only 150-200 EBC, which should make for easier adjustment, and yes it tastes great in porter.
Mark

Hey Damn,

I had a quick play around with your recipe and if you use the simpsons brown instead you just need to half your chocolate malt addition to get the same predicted colour.

I have some simpsons brown malt if you're swinging by croydon anytime soon.

Back