Seeking advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHB

Reaction score
Been thinking about our need to feed the masses for family and friends get togethers as well as larger groups when we have a brew related shindig. We'd be looking at using it for all manner of dead animals from fish through game meats etc

Been considering one of these: Hark Texas Pro-Pit Offset Smoker - HK0527

Anyone got one ? Thoughts?

^don't know about that smoker but another thought to stir into your mix could be Paella (pronounced pie-ay-uh) we have a huge Paella Pan. Paella is a dish that accepts many and varied ingredients. Ours is good for feeding around 16 people but there are bigger ones.

16195622_10153994810091486_5660706148562419863_n.jpg

I've had a bit of a look at one and while it seemed like a pretty good unit, it didn't seem like very thick steel (wouldn't keep heat in well)
Also it seemed to have a few gaps here and there, which would let smoke out early
However this is fixable with some high temp silicone or fire proof sealant.

I used to have a smoker/grill built out of a food grade 44 gallon drum, served me very well for many parties and at the Coffs Brewer's xmas in July one year

for the price it should be OK. it'll cost you double that to get a decent 20" made locally.
I've heard they can leak a bit so be prepared to buy some heat seal tape and or high temp silicon.

Decided to go with the Texas Pro-Pit. You're right Liam, it does leak like a sieve. Will address that on the weekend.

Looking forward to some nice low n slow stuff.

Hey Martin,

Hope I'm not off-topic & congrats on your choice of the Texas Pro-Pit. Hope it goes well for you.

Here's a blast from the past showing Brucie's home-made smoker.
Brucie, champion that he is :super: produced this little effort at one of Chap Chap's brewdays. many long years ago & at the time when gravity, rather than pumps, ruled the roost his Stairway To The Stars 3-vessel was No 1 IMHO.

Hope you brewers enjoy the pics & perhaps get a little inspiration. :)

Edit -- Regrettably some of those old pics did not upload correctly.

Brucey at Work.jpg

View attachment untitled 3.bmp

View attachment untitled 5.bmp

HBHB said:
Decided to go with the Texas Pro-Pit. You're right Liam, it does leak like a sieve. Will address that on the weekend.
Looking forward to some nice low n slow stuff.
What did they sting you for that one , Martin?

Make yourself an Ugly Drum Smoker. Cheaper and much easier to maintain a stable temperature. You could make several for the price of the Hark.

Martin, I have to clear some Guava trees from the property over the next few weeks, I believe the timber is good for smokers. Let me know if you want me to save you some.

Batz

Before you QLD'ers get some funny ideas...

Make damn sure you do not use mango trees for your BBQ smoke wood. It's nasty stuff and has potential to kill.

Best wood to use for BBQ is hardwood. Top choices include cherry, apple, walnut, peach and plum. Banksia cones also work really well.

What is going on with Mango wood that causes the threat Peter?

I guess it is in the sap?

the sap is an irritant and will cause sever problems if used from breathing problems to all sorts of other problems. so stay away from anything that bleeds white sap.
i posted a link that has a good table of what to use in the smoking meats thread.
guava is nice I've used it batz. i prefer plum and apple though.

There is a fair bit of aussie wood that works well too.
Black Wattle, Red Iron Bark, Maleleuca, Black Sheoak and more I am sure.

Latest posts

Back