Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyB-79

Reaction score
G'day, first time poster on here but I have been reading intently all the good info every one has provided.

I am relatively new to homebrewing but am enjoying it immensely. Here is the problem I have on my latest batch that Google cannot give me the answers or guidance about.

I have a ginger beer batch in the primary that has been fermenting for days now. Going great guns! I made it from 1.5kg fresh ginger.

What I have noticed was that the trub and all he ginger sediment is above the tap. I have 2 questions:

1. How do I stop all that yeast going into the secondary?

2. What would you do at this stage?

I appreciate and thank you in advance for your guidance.

Couple of easy fixes:
Rack the beer (requires a spare fermenter), let the ferment finish then package.
Syphon the beer instead of using the tap.
Prop the front of the fermenter up, I have used an offcut of 75 x 50 timber often enough, give the fermenter a bit of a shake and the trub will move to the back, hopefully below the tap.

You can probably come up with a few others with a bit of thought.
Mark

Thanks mark for the response. I will get a syphon happening.

Funny how you can't see the simplest solution sometimes..... especially after a big night and very little sleep!

MHB said:
Prop the front of the fermenter up, I have used an offcut of 75 x 50 timber often enough, give the fermenter a bit of a shake and the trub will move to the back, hopefully below the tap.
Since I've started kegging, I've been doing all of my ferments with a small chock under the tap side right from the pitching the yeast. Seems to keep a lot of the trub away from the outlet. Its about 15mm thick.

Latest posts

Back