Sediment In Bottles - Clean Out? Before Next Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi007

Reaction score
Hi

I am about to start my next brew and have a few glass bottles which have some dried sediment on the bottom.
I have rinsed them out and used a bottle brush to clean them out further.
There is still a bit of sediment in the grooves on the bottom of the bottles.
I have sanitised the bottles now.

Is it ok to reuse these bottles or is it best to get all the sediment out?

Is there a good way to clean out the bottles?

thanks

Jimi

Need to get it out, but probably a bit difficult when it's been dry for a while. Maybe soak them and use something like PBW to clean them out.

Cheers
Gavo

Non scented nappisan. Soak overnight cold or 30 minutes hot water. Eats anything organic.

PBW = expensive nappisan :)

Hi

I am about to start my next brew and have a few glass bottles which have some dried sediment on the bottom.
I have rinsed them out and used a bottle brush to clean them out further.
There is still a bit of sediment in the grooves on the bottom of the bottles.
I have sanitised the bottles now.

Is it ok to reuse these bottles or is it best to get all the sediment out?

Is there a good way to clean out the bottles?

thanks

Jimi

I wouldn't risk it.
Soak them over night with some unscented napisan in boiling water & give them a blast with one of these & just re sanitize. Rinse after you pour, it'll save you the hassle next time.

If you dont clean properly and sanitise you wont be sanitising the area under the crud and there will be all sorts of bacteria under this crud just waiting to get out.
(You cant sanitise dirt.)

When you bottle the bacteria will partay..and blow the roof off, literally.

Always clean thoroughly then sanitise.

So it seems the consensus here is to soak the bottles and ensure they are absolutely spotless?

I would say, you should soak the bottles, in unscented nappysan [Go the baby care stuff] or PBW and make sure there is no traces of anything, they should be glowing!

Unless of course you are planning on blowing up the inlaws or similar...

Do you leave remnants in you fermenter?

No point going to all the effort of brewing and bottling just to scimp out on the last steps. That would be like opening your payslip at the end of the week to find you got paid nothing :(

As has been mentioned above, the best habit to get into is rinsing your bottles immediately after use, then you dont have the problem to begin with.

Then after that all you have to do is sterilise, and they're good to go.

Back