Secret To 'crystal Clear' Bottled Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is there any possible way to bottle beer and leave no sediment (i.e. rather than adding sugar or the like to the bottle when bottling can we get the beer fizzy some other way?)

My mates all like clear lagers and so I'm brewing some czech pilsner (double batch). I'm keeging the majority ( 40L ) but will bottle the remaining liquid unless it can't be done and then I will just use a third keg and having sitting to one side why i wait for a free tap.

On a side note should i push a bit of CO2 into the 3rd keg and then disconnect it? I did have a ungassed keg sitting around for months and it was ok when i hooked it up but I am a little concerned about oxidization of the beer.

Cheers,
Carl

afaik the only way to have bottled beer with absolutely no sediment is to bottle from the keg. some people use counter flow bottlers which balance the pressure between bottle and keg so as to not lose much CO2 while filling.
as for the other keg, yes purge with some co2 if you've already primed it - or leave it on the gas and artificially carbonate it while drinking the others

On a side note should i push a bit of CO2 into the 3rd keg and then disconnect it? I did have a ungassed keg sitting around for months and it was ok when i hooked it up but I am a little concerned about oxidization of the beer.

Cheers,
Carl

hey mate,

I have 3 kegs out of the fridge and uncarbed generally all the time, it's no problem. I've also had a fully carb'd beer taken out of the fridge and left out to warm up too, the C02 will be generally pushed out of the solution and remain in the headspace, so when you chill the beer again the C02 is absorbed once more.

I've found a transfer to secondary for a few days, if not a week, is pretty much all I need to get a crystal clear bottled beer. There is sediment, but its very minimal and not really noticable if you drink from the bottle.

Cheers - boingk

bottle off the keg ftw.

methods vary. Some use counterflow, some just reduce the pressure right down so the flow is a trickle and bottle straight from tap. Either way, the secret is to make sure the lines, tap, and bottles are cold as can be to prevent excessive foaming. I find that you can lose a little bit of carb, but not that much. If it's an issue, just carb the beer in the keg just a touch extra, say 0.1-0.2vol of CO2, to compensate for the loss.

Back