Secondary to Kegging (newbie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burchiam

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I'm doing my first brew (coopers pale ale).

1. Primary fermentation - 7 days
2. Transferred to secondary 11 days up to now.

total 18 days...

Temperature as been at a constant 20 Deg Celcius the whole time (STC-1000 in bar fridge fermentation chamber)

What are your thoughts around kegging?

Should i cold crash first in my secondary before kegging? When should i keg?

photo (2).jpg

I generally ferment 10-11 days in primary, crash for 3 days in primary then keg cold. (only use secondary fermenter if my tap gets drowned in trub).

If you crashed down to 1-4 degrees for 3 days you would easily be right to keg.
Probably end up with some pretty clear beer too.

Edit: all the above ignores any reference to FG readings, I trust you are on top of these are at at expected FG.

Cheers,
D80

My guess is it would be ready to keg but DO NOT trust the amount of time that has passed during fermentation. Check that your FG is stable over a couple of days just to be sure.

You do not have to cold crash but if it's already in the fridge, you might as well dial that STC1000 down to cold crash. All trub and dead yeast cells will fall out of suspension and you will have nice clear beer.

Seems like you have a pretty sophisticated fermenting set up for a first time brewer. Good stuff :icon_cheers:

I usually cold crash before kegging, to about 2C.

Its best to have the beer cold when trying to carbonate it anyway, this way you leave more crud behind, and you end up with cold beer when you apply the C02

Back