Secondary Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcampbell

Reaction score
I have been kegging now for a month and finally think the setup is working well.

Beer is pouring great, the new Perlick taps are stunners, and I finally have the gas pressure set at what I think is just right.

ONLY NOW the wife is complaining the soda water is flat! My gas pressure is at 90kpa fed to all kegs, and I must agree this is a bit low for a keg of soda water. Now I was hoping not to have to spring for a new dual regulator (love to know why they cost more than two singles). In the states I notice that they have secondary gas regulators which take regulated pressure and take it down further. So I could have the primary regulator set at 200kpa (or whatever) for the soda water and the secondary set to my beer pressure.

I can't find any in Australia - anyone spotted any? If not what is to stop me buying (or scrounging) a second regulator, taking the high pressure gauge off it, and coupling the existing regulator together with it (high pressure in on one gauge connected to the high pressure gauge gas port) - of course with an appropriate high pressure fitting.

Or should I just spend the hard earned ones an buy a dual reg!

....and if anyone has an idea of the ideal pressure for a keg of soda water it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

i set my main reg on the bottle at 250 kpa. I have 2 lines running into my chest freezer housing my kegs.

One line runs at 250 kpa which is my carbonation pressure........ i use 50 liter kegs so the shake method is not an option.

the other line runs at 90kpa of a second regulator (smc unit) hooked into the 250kpa gas line. This is used for pouring pressure.

easy!

i set my main reg on the bottle at 250 kpa. I have 2 lines running into my chest freezer housing my kegs.

One line runs at 250 kpa which is my carbonation pressure........ i use 50 liter kegs so the shake method is not an option.

the other line runs at 90kpa of a second regulator (smc unit) hooked into the 250kpa gas line. This is used for pouring pressure.

easy!

Where did you source the Secondary from?

Cheers
Steve

um........ i "found" it at work :ph34r:

hang on i will take a picture of the setup for ya

here you go:

IMG_7114__2592_x_1728_.jpg

Tony,

Thanks for the pic!

That was what I was thinking. Although the secondaries I have seen on eBay in the states have hose tails - but logically plumbing it so it is the same setup as yours.

I work for myself and I know I'm not going to find one around here :)

Now to find a secondary :)

Cheers
Steve

OK - daylight has just dawned!!!!!!!

That SMC reg is an air reg :

Does that mean I can go down to supercheap and buy a spray painting compressed air reg and use it on the low pressure side of the CO2 reg?

Cheers
Steve

as long as its rated to handle the pressure you going to put on it..... i guess so

as been said the air reg works well
dual_regulator.JPG

ar and I found mine as well

Back