Secondary Fermentation Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I brewed a Coopers Pale Ale last month, and racked into a cube for 5-6 days at 12-15C to let it settle a little. I bottled on the 9th, priming with 180g of dextrose for 19-20 litres, and today the beer was clear so I stuck a couple in the fridge. They were mainly flat with just a tiny bit of bubble and I thought I could taste dextrose still in the beer.

I thought that because the yeast had settled, the primary fermentation would be finished? There is only a thin layer of sediment on the bottom, and the beer is still very slightly hazy. Do you reckon fermentation is still cranking? I've never racked and left my beer to think before, so I don't know much about how it extends the time required for secondary fermentation.

just give it a bit more time, 2 weeks at least after racking or CC'ing. I think everything will be ok.

Crikey, that was quick!

I guess I'm used to not doing any sort of CC'ing, so I usually have a good yeast content and the secondary bangs through in a couple days... started drinking my last stout when it was four days old :chug:

dont forget kai that the weather is cooler so it will take longer to carbinate your bottles

That's true. My beer has been evicted to the carport.

Latest posts

Back