• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Second-Hand Grain Mill EOIs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
With the grain mill bulk buy underway, and 50+ brewers getting a new mill soon, we're going to see second-hand mills up for grabs and I reckon there'll be enough to warrant its own bulk-buy-esque tracking thread. Everybody deserves an equal opportunity to grab the upcoming bargains and a thread like this is the easiest way to take a first-come-first-serve approach.

If you intend to sell, register yourself here as well as details about the mill, or better yet a link to an online store selling the same mill. List your asking price also. Communication directly with a seller should be done via PM so as not to pollute this thread too much. If your mill is "reserved" by someone, edit your listing to show this, but buyers are welcome to add a "NIL" (Next In Line) in case the reservation drops out.

1. MTB - eBay Malt Muncher mill - similar to this one. $110ish new, asking $50 plus postage from 2617, all parts included as seen in the link. Decent condition but adjustment knob is garbage and slipped often so I locked it in an unadjustable gap width of ~.7mm, ie BIAB territory or an otherwise very fine crush.

MTB
Dumb question, how do I PM you, I am interested in your mill?
Cheers, John

MTB
Dumb question, how do I PM you, I am interested in your mill?
Cheers, John
Hey mate,
Click my name above my photo and you'll get an option to Start A Conversation. Somebody's already registered their interest but they're inquiring about other mills to so being second in line is still a good bet.

1. MTB - eBay Malt Muncher mill - similar to this one. $110ish new, asking $50 plus postage from 2617, all parts included as seen in the link. Decent condition but adjustment knob is garbage and slipped often so I locked it in an unadjustable gap width of ~.7mm, ie BIAB territory or an otherwise very fine crush. Claimed by Little Jon, feralbass next in line

Decent condition but adjustment knob is garbage and slipped often so I locked it in an unadjustable gap width of ~.7mm,

Does the knob actually slip or is there backlash?

If the latter, a bit of technique that applies to most* malt mills: if you are increasing the gap, back off further than you need and then tighten to get the correct gap. This will bias the setting mechanism so it better resists the force exerted by the material being milled.

*If you are in the fortunate position of operating a Buhler mill you can safely ignore this, but you knew that.

Here is my Mash Master as pictured, good condition, actually haven't used it as I bought it 2nd hand.
Would like $140 posted.
oWGF2Ax_d.jpg

Does the knob actually slip or is there backlash?

If the latter, a bit of technique that applies to most* malt mills: if you are increasing the gap, back off further than you need and then tighten to get the correct gap. This will bias the setting mechanism so it better resists the force exerted by the material being milled.

*If you are in the fortunate position of operating a Buhler mill you can safely ignore this, but you knew that.
Well there you go, that explains why I always have more luck setting the gap when I back it right off and and then bring it back to where I want it. I noticed early on that it tended to end up widening a touch almost straight away if not done like this.

I'll be putting mine up this evening, located in Melbourne.

I'll be selling my original mashmaster with the 63mm rollers soon, just want to have a play with the new one first. I'm in Sydney

I have a mill + hopper + baseboard + hand crank for sale in Willoughby. It's less than a year old and would have been through less than 50kg of grain. Only even operated by hand. No rust. Pickup for $80, postage costs would probably blow the cost out too much.

The entire mill, assembled:

Mill_entire.JPG

Mill with hopper detached from base board. You can see it is mounted using two screws (supplied) and also see the gap size adjustment knob and locking screw on the side.
Mill_upsidedown.JPG

The rollers in detail. As you can see, there is no rust and the knurling is not worn down.

Mill_roller_detail.JPG

I'm selling my Keg King Maltmuncher 2 roller mill, 2 years old and seen about 250kg of grain.

Located inner north Melbourne, will wait a week to see if there's any local takers before going postal.

Asking $50 plus postage.

https://i.imgur.com/Qyu3z21.jpg

Latest posts

Back