Second Hand Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a second hand large fridge for the summer. My current brew fridge is a little gem but only takes one 25L and I really need it for storing grain, hops, yeast and the current batch of drinkable. :icon_cheers:

Members who have bought second hand.. did you get a reliable machine for your money and how much did you pay? Where did you get it? The couple of second hand fridges I have bought in the past have karked it after three months so I'm still tossing up (new fridges are quite cheap nowadays in real $$ terms, just bought a neat Mitsubishi Kitchen fridge for less than $600 but spending a grand on a biggie is a lot of Pilsner Urquell :D )

Thinking of getting a second hand large fridge for the summer. My current brew fridge is a little gem but only takes one 25L and I really need it for storing grain, hops, yeast and the current batch of drinkable. :icon_cheers:

Members who have bought second hand.. did you get a reliable machine for your money and how much did you pay? Where did you get it? The couple of second hand fridges I have bought in the past have karked it after three months so I'm still tossing up (new fridges are quite cheap nowadays in real $$ terms, just bought a neat Mitsubishi Kitchen fridge for less than $600 but spending a grand on a biggie is a lot of Pilsner Urquell :D )
Try your local fridge repair place.
I got mine from there 2 years ago and hasnt missed a beat.
Cost me $250 I think, came without shelves so saved me getting rid of them.

Buy from a second hand shop you`ll get some sort of warranty...but not much.
Buy from private sale a lot cheaper, no warranty.
If it was me, I`d be getting The Weekend Shopper at daylite tomorrow , there`s always top buys in there. You`d get something really good and about 500l. for under $400 if you do your homework.

staggalee.

Friends and family, cannot beat them, just have to cast the net wide enough, someone will have an old one in their shed they are not using anymore. I got my last one for free(except for the electric cost, but thats another thread), the one before that was $100 from my aunty.

Unless you are in a hurry.....

Buying second hand fridges is always a gamble. I bought two second hand fridges- one for a keg fridge and the other as a fermentation fridge. Overall put me back $550. The fermentation fridge is now dead due to a gas leak, but the keg fridge is awesome and really reliable.

$100 should buy you an exellent secondhand fridge.
Check out ebay in your area

Batz

Why would you store your grain in the fridge?

I bought one for around $200 (all fridge) and it's working fine, currently storing 2 kegs and gas bottle as well as some glasses on the top shelf.

Anyone know what size fridge I need for a 60L fermenter and a 19L postmix keg at the same time??

I bought one for around $200 (all fridge) and it's working fine, currently storing 2 kegs and gas bottle as well as some glasses on the top shelf.

Anyone know what size fridge I need for a 60L fermenter and a 19L postmix keg at the same time??

I've bought two from ebay, one for $20 (holds 5 kegs) and one for $40 (I bit newer and holds 4 kegs). Both work well but I was probably lucky.
I see heaps of fridges go for under $30 in Sydney.

A 480L should fit that no probs... In mine i used to be able to fit a 50L keg and a 9KG gas bottle with a bit of room to spare.

I suspect that a 60L fermenter and a 19L keg are about the same size

Cheers,

I've picked up 2 second hand fridges over the past year. Both free. Both in fantastic condition.

Check out Freecycle There will be a group near you. You might have to wait a while for one to come up but its worth the wait.

Cheers
dave

I recently got my keg fridge all setup (thanks to the craftbrewer guys), now need to get a cooler place for my fermenter. I have been reading lots of posts here, but am a little confused.

Looking at getting a small fridge to fit a fermenter & have a couple of queries (apologies if posted not posted in the best spot)

• Will a small bar fridge be adequate, ~120 litres for a 30 litre fermenter?
  • If the fermenter can fit, but the freezer compartment does not allow for the airlock, any suggestions there?
  • Is it better to get a freezer or fridge?
  • Seems to be lots of talk about the fridgemate vs tempmate here, any pros/cons for going with the tempmate?
I have approval for a couple a hundered from the boss to spend & am only really brewing one brew at a time still. Would love some advice from the good folk here.

Thanks
Mick

scored a free bar fridge the other day on freecycle , previous to that ive got a couple off ebay one at $5 the other $2.50
both worked like a charm
sadly i had to leave one of them behind when i left sydney to come back to melbourne , someone got it for free so hopefully its still doin good service somewhere

I'm keen to get a fermenting fridge, too.

Could you tempmate/fridgemate the kegerator?

The only problem is, you can't drink a beer while fermenting a brew.

I am in this situation right now...

Got kegs and fittings (bronco tap only), got gas bottle. No fridge...

Spent the last few weeks trying to hunt down fridges on ebay/trading post/gumtree only for most of them to have just gone or I miss the winning bid by $1 by some last second ******* :p

Going to look at this one tomorrow with my BIL (he has a ute, and is known for being able to lift heavy shit). If it lasts me more than 12 months I'll be happy, I can use the meantime to invest in a brand new chest freezer, build a collar and set up taps on it.

Careful Bribie I am now up to seven fridges it becomes an addiction.

Cheers

Paul

Hey Bribie as soon as I get a new start relay for my newest keg fridge, you can have my old one if you want it. Will be a couple of weeks at the most. It only fits 3 corny kegs though and frosts up around the open frezer box.

Brad

I'm keen to get a fermenting fridge, too.

Could you tempmate/fridgemate the kegerator?

The only problem is, you can't drink a beer while fermenting a brew.

I did this for a few months....then got a freezer for my fermenter out of the trading post. Not being able to drink and brew at the same time gets old pretty quick. It does depend on space and budget though. I'm using a homemade temp controller based on a JCar kit to control the freezer.

My keg fridge is a fridge\freezer. I use the freezer for hops, ice and whatever doesn't fit in the main house fridge and keep beer in the fridge section.

Pm sent Bribie - we'll see what we can arrange...

Bribie, the weekend shopper in the Courier Mail on a saturday is your friend, most saturdays there are freebies in there from people who have bought new fridges and just want their old ones gone. If not that then pretty cheap, I've bought two fridges one cost eme $20 buck and another $50, and I got a 200L chest freezer for $50 too.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back