Second Generation Wyeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
Greeting all, i have been reusing white labs liquid yeast's with success two three and even four times after storing them in the fridge properly. My local supplier has changed brands to wyeast. I have just picked up a wyeast bohemian larger pack( the one with the inbuilt starter that you bust and wait for a few hours). Has any one had any luck using this line a second time?

I am also looking at brewing at around 10 degrees with the larger wort. Any advise?

You can re-use wyeast in the same way you reuse any other yeast. You can also split the pack fresh and grow yeast and make starters from the splits.

The smack pack is not an inbuilt starter - it's just a nutrient pouch which will indicate the presence of viable yeast when it swells.

The wyeast website should have the appropriate temperature range if it's not on the back of the pack itself (should be) so anywhere in that (lower is better in my experience with lagers) should be OK. 10 sounds about right.

Thanks for that. The back of the pack indicated just over 20 degrees. When i had a look at the website it indicated that the yeast has a large temperature range between 8 and 24. Think i will go with the lower end.

Thanks again

Hey whatwhat.

Which brewers choice store is your local? :)

I have recently been using the budvar czech yeast, the WhiteLabs one and all I can say is make sure you pitch heaps especially if pitching at 10 deg. I really don't think one smack pack is enough for 20L even fresh, if pitching at 10-12deg.

This is only my limited experience with Lagers. I have always underpitched and finally convinced myself to stop scrooging and I will never go back.

Almost every single recommendation I've seen for lagers, whether dry or liquid yeast is to pitch twice the amount (whether two packs or stepped up/grown from one)

I am also looking at brewing at around 10 degrees with the larger wort. Any advise?
Make a large starter, check the MrMalty website for an idea of what volume starter you should look to make.

The smack pack is not an inbuilt starter - it's just a nutrient pouch which will indicate the presence of viable yeast when it swells.

It's also so you can pitch metabolically acitve yeast cells. Pitching sleepy ones is not as good.

Waiting for the pack to swell is just to check if the yeast is viable and active. Pitch to starter without smacking is ok as well.

Nothing wrong with Wyeast, or any yeast, just choose the right one. Check out the wyeast website.

undefined

Fear

This is worth a watch if you haven't already...

Scroll to 9:50 and 11:54.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey whatwhat.

Which brewers choice store is your local? :)

I have recently been using the budvar czech yeast, the WhiteLabs one and all I can say is make sure you pitch heaps especially if pitching at 10 deg. I really don't think one smack pack is enough for 20L even fresh, if pitching at 10-12deg.

This is only my limited experience with Lagers. I have always underpitched and finally convinced myself to stop scrooging and I will never go back.

Parks i tend to use the Chapel Hill Brewers Choice. Great store but busy on a saturday!!

Think i will go with a simple starter to increase the cell count. The mr malty calculator is really helpful and great advice thanks. Good work on the link to nick cheers.

I would let you all know how it goes but i will rack it for a few months before i keg it.

Waiting for the pack to swell is just to check if the yeast is viable and active. Pitch to starter without smacking is ok as well.

I strongly recommend you never pitch before the pack swells. There is no advantage in pitching before it swells & that's your best indicator to the viabillity of the yeast.

Cheers Ross

Parks i tend to use the Chapel Hill Brewers Choice. Great store but busy on a saturday!!

Think i will go with a simple starter to increase the cell count. The mr malty calculator is really helpful and great advice thanks. Good work on the link to nick cheers.

I would let you all know how it goes but i will rack it for a few months before i keg it.

Good stuff. If you're ever after a taster or want to swap some beers there are a couple of us in Kenmore :)

:icon_offtopic: We're also hoping to rope in a third to share driving to BABBs if you ever wanted to go...

Good stuff. If you're ever after a taster or want to swap some beers there are a couple of us in Kenmore :)

:icon_offtopic: We're also hoping to rope in a third to share driving to BABBs if you ever wanted to go...

I will Keep that in mind Parks, i am only on the other side of the hill in The Gap

Ta Nick for the link

I like the part about Mt Hood there in Oregon being called Wy'east by the local tribe. Classic.

Kinda explains the bigass mountain on the packets. And the hop too I s'pose.

We're learnin' stuff today!

Back