Second Ag This Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I have scheduled in a morning this Sunday to do my second Ag. This is going to be my Xmas case contribution fot you QLD boys so it is in your best interests to help me with this one. :D

I am going to make a stout for the Xmas case and am looking for a good recipe and one which will be drinkable at Xmas or later if people would prefer to put it away for a few months. Me personally, I am going to drink my entire Xmas case over the Xmas holidays. :beerbang:

I have got the basic vibe. I will need to use some base malt and am thinking of using pale malt, will this be good? The speciality malt will be black patent or roasted barley but in what quantity? something I have drawn a blank on is yeast and hops.

I am going to make a liquid yeast starter for this brew and would like to split the yeast so as I can save some in the little tubes that I bought in the bulk buy, is it possible to do this without the use of a pressure cooker or autoclave? Should I just make a starter and lob it in and leave the tubes for later?

So many questions...I love my brewing and would love to get more in to it and get on this site more but 2 kids and a pregnant missus dictate otherwise...I have managed to set Sunday morning aside this weekend so I am determined to do my Xmas case brew as time is running out.

QLD brewers, how big is the case now, do I need to make 24 bottles still or has it gone up? :huh:

Cheers for your help as always guys. :super:

I can only take from the lack of responce that you QLD guys will be quite happy to drink whatever dirst water I serve up. :p

Plenty of recipes for stouts about the place, easy style to brew if you ask me so go for it. Obviously you'll start with a base malt like pale ale malt. You'll also want a contribution of crystal, roast barley or black patent, maybe some chocolate malt as well if you like. My favourite dark specialty malt for stout is weyermann carafa special 3, because of the smooth, subtle roastiness-perhaps not really to style but I like it that way-stemmed from my fondness of schwarzbier.

Yeast, any ale yeast but Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale is a winner. I've used London ale 1028 and American ale 1056 with excellent results. Hops, try some Challenger if you can get it or Target, Northern Brewer or anything really.

I'll post a nice recipe in a sec.

Cheers, Justin

Brizbrew said:
I can only take from the lack of responce that you QLD guys will be quite happy to drink whatever dirst water I serve up. :p
[post="78258"][/post]​

i just don't think anyone want's to take the blame if it stuffs up - lol...

Seriously though - it's pretty hard to make a bad dark beer - the style is very forgiving - I haven't made enough stouts to give you a recommended recipe, but any oatmeat stout would be my choice...
Fuggles would be my choice of flavour/finishing hops
Yeast choices in order of preference from wyeast:
Dry Stout:
Medium to full body. Medium to high bitterness. Sweet maltiness. No hop flavor or aroma. Diacetyl low to medium. Alcohol low to medium.
--Wyeast 1084, 1007, 1028, 1275, 2565.

Sweet Stout:
Medium to full body. Low bitterness. No hop flavor or aroma. Low to medium alcohol. Low diacetyl OK.
--Wyeast 1968, 1338, 1056, 1318, 1728.

Imperial Stout:
Malty. Fruitiness/esters OK. High hop bitterness and flavor. Full body, high alcohol.
--Wyeast 1084, 1056, 1728, 1275.

Rest is up to you - i look forward the results :chug:

Makes a nice oatmeal stout. Grain bill is a little more complex that I remembered :rolleyes: but was probably a bit of a result of what I had on hand and what quantities. If I remember rightly a pretty easy ratio is to go for 5% crystal, 5% chocolate, 5% roast barley with your 85% pale malt. Someone will probably pipe up with some comments if that's a bit light on, I forget now cause I normally brew my schwarzbier recipe as a stout (I just brew it with an ale yeast if I want to squeeze one out quickly). If you want I can post that one too.

Cheers, Justin

Oatmeal Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Min OG: 1.035 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 50
Min Clr: 35 Max Clr: 90 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 27.00 Wort Size (L): 27.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.60
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.59
Anticipated SRM: 32.8
Anticipated IBU: 41.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 30.00 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046 SG 11.38 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
71.4 4.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
7.1 0.40 kg. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
1.8 0.10 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special III Germany 1.035 660
5.4 0.30 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 74
5.4 0.30 kg. TF Roasted Barley UK 1.033 619
5.4 0.30 kg. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
3.6 0.20 kg. Hoepfner Melanoidin Germany 1.037 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
50.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 30.3 60 min.
12.00 g. Wye Challenger Pellet 7.50 10.9 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.60
Water Qts: 12.15 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 11.50 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.05 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume L: 15.24 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Justin,

would love to see your schwarzbier recipe - probably my favourite style at the moment...

P.S. how did your post jump before mine - after i posted, I checked & yours wasn't there - spooky :blink:

Bris brew

If you are using promash - the guys should be able to help u out with recipes in .rec

U need to decide teh style of stout - personally i like FES Foreign Extra Stout or Imperial. RIS will take too long to condition and not be ready before xmas.

No worries. Nice beer, probably my favourite beer style at the moment as well. My dad likes it as well so I often brew and split it with him. I did this brew a sort of club brew day where we all brewed a schwarzbier each. There were varied recipes and varied mash/hop schedules. At the tasting some weeks later mine was the winner :super: probably more ass that class but anyway, makes a good drop.

Here it is:

Justin's Schwarzbier BBY 29-5-04

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-B European Dark Lager, Schwarzbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 40 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.99
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.48
Anticipated SRM: 31.7
Anticipated IBU: 38.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.78 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.28 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
50.1 2.50 kg. Hoepfner Pilsner malt Germany 1.038 2
42.9 2.15 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
7.0 0.35 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special III Germany 1.035 660

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
61.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 36.0 60 min.
15.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 2.4 15 min.
15.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Wyeast Munich Lager 2308 (highly recomended for this beer)

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 4.99
Water Qts: 15.83 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 14.98 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 18.31 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Thanks for that guys, just one more thing. I am pretty sure that I can only get hold of White Labs yeast so would WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast be similar to the 1084Wyeast?

This Beer is going to be a corker, I can feel it. :super:

Brizbrew.

Little tip you don't necessarily have to follow. However I've always found that stouts have a far smoother flavour if you back of the roast barley a little and maybe add equal amounts of chocolate malt.

Good idea is to add the roasted malts (RB & choc) at the mashout too. In other words put them in when mash is finished then start your normal recirculation until clear. The roast seems to never be as harsh as it is normally perceived this way. Can't vouch for everybody but I like my stouts on the smooth side. Maybe not so dry and acrid. :beerbang:

Feel free to disregard this advice at will. :ph34r:

Warren -

warren,

i cold steep my grains when doing a stout & so far, they have all come out very smooth indeed. Like you, i'm not a fan of harsh flavours...

cheers Ross...

Ross.

What's the story with cold steeping? :unsure: Haven't read up on it all that much (though I should). IIRC you have to factor in extra roast in your recipe. Is this correct?

Sounds a good idea in respect to smoother flavours. IMO Nothing tastes worse than a stout with an overly-roasty charcoal bite. Particularly when accompanied by a thinnish body. :ph34r:

Might have a bit of a search through the archives.

Warren -

Again, not one for the purists, but I like a mix of Black Patent, Brit Crystal and Choc malt added as suggested at mashout or thereabouts. Lovely flavour, but if you want that Roast Barley tang you'll really need to use it I guess. I'm in the 'smooth is good' camp as well :p Maybe give that combo a try.

I'm keen to give the Carafa III a go in a stout soon. My HBS has just got a bag in and I've used a tiny amount just to add colour to a brew, but tasting some grains I reckon a stout could be a goer...

Shawn.

Shawn.

Oh to have some empty kegs. G&G have some malted oats. :beerbang:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I can feel some recipe formulating coming on. :lol:

Mmmmmmm..... Oatmeal stout. :chug:

Warren -

Mmmm... Oatmeal 'n Carafa stout? Sounds like a plan...

Shawn.

I'll add it to my ever growin' list. :lol: :beerbang:

The machinations are hatching. B)

Warren -

Warren,

I just steep cracked grains for 24hrs in cold water. I mix at a ratio of 3 to 1.
Liqour is poured straight into the boiler & the spent grains are added to the mashtun at 90 mins just before sparging.

I haven't found a need to increase grain quantity's at all, doing it this way...

Cheers Ross

Certainly sounds worthy of the benefit of the doubt Ross. :eek:

Next stout I do I'm very tempted to give it a go. It doesn't sound all that dissimilar to adding them at mashout.

Feeling like a stout just thinking about it. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Certainly sounds worthy of the benefit of the doubt Ross. :eek:

Next stout I do I'm very tempted to give it a go. It doesn't sound all that dissimilar to adding them at mashout.

Feeling like a stout just thinking about it. :lol:

Warren -
[post="78376"][/post]​

My first few i just discarded the grains & didn't add at mash out - but after reading on here about need to increase grain volumes etc, i reckoned adding at mash out was a good way of rinsing the grains - Can't honestly say I've noticed any difference in effiency/flavour, but it obviously extracts that little bit extra...

warrenlw63 said:
Brizbrew.

Little tip you don't necessarily have to follow. However I've always found that stouts have a far smoother flavour if you back of the roast barley a little and maybe add equal amounts of chocolate malt.

Good idea is to add the roasted malts (RB & choc) at the mashout too. In other words put them in when mash is finished then start your normal recirculation until clear. The roast seems to never be as harsh as it is normally perceived this way. Can't vouch for everybody but I like my stouts on the smooth side. Maybe not so dry and acrid. :beerbang:

Feel free to disregard this advice at will. :ph34r:

Warren -
[post="78340"][/post]​
Thanks for the info Warren. I was going to mash the whole lot together so I am glad you posted this. As always a great source of information. :super:

I am going to have a stout or two myself now, this is just old kit stuff I had left over but hey it is cold and wet. :unsure:

Back