Sealing bottles after first pour.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Okay this might sound like a dumb question but bare with me on this. I lived in Broome for 18 years where they don't sell 750 ml bottles because they can be used as weapons by the locals after drinking emu export in the mangroves all day.

So my beer purchases have always been stubbies, 1 pour into a glass or straight from the stubbie. Now that Ive discovered craft beer and taken up home brewing I find myself using 750ml bottles or pouring from 500ml bottles and everything else they come in.

So after the first pour Ive got half a bottle left sitting back in the fridge waiting for my next round. What do you guys do with this? Smack the lid down on top with your hand until your ready for your second?

i remember as a kid seeing dad using those rubber stopper things on his 750 ml bottles of VB. Do they still even sell them and are they worth using? I know were only talking about 30 mins or less here but just curious whats the best way to keep this beer in optimum condition until that 30 mins is up and its time for the second round?
Sometimes the missus doesnt want a beer so Im on my own and might take 3 glasses to finish off a botttle.

You could just drink the whole long neck. Or have a friend over and enjoy it together.

1. drink faster
2. get a classy brown paper bag and drink out of the bottle
3. get your bench capper out and reseal it.
4. don't buy big bottles
5. buy bigger glasses
6. get your missus naked and get her to put her thumb over it
7.stick your finger over it
8. stick dick in it and get missus to strip for you to get a good seal on it
9. get new missus who always wants to drink beer
10. stick a cork in it
11. alfoil or gladwrap
12 failing that a kitten

I've always just pushed the crown seal back on and put it back in the fridge to be poured as soon as the first glass is empty .

Never had a cause to change my technique or noticed major carbonation loss. SWMBO uses those little stopper things, I just cant bring my self to put a pink stopper on a long neck though...

seamad said:
1. drink faster
2. get a classy brown paper bag and drink out of the bottle
3. get your bench capper out and reseal it.
4. don't buy big bottles
5. buy bigger glasses
6. get your missus naked and get her to put her thumb over it
7.stick your finger over it
8. stick dick in it and get missus to strip for you to get a good seal on it
9. get new missus who always wants to drink beer
10. stick a cork in it
11. alfoil or gladwrap
12 failing that a kitten
13. keep it under the stairs until ready to pour the rest

Hey, guys! How should I drink beer?

**** me sideways, Truman.

Sorry for being sensible and leaving out anything to do with kittens, but...

If it's hot, sure put the bottle back in the fridge but from a scientific point of view there is no reason to jam the cap back on. In the time it takes you to drink a glass, the bottle won't degas enough to be noticeable - unless you agitate it a fair bit. I could prove it with science and maths but that would be boring.

Long story short, RDWHAHB.

I use this also good for champagne. Works great on a beer though.

What are these bottles you speak of? You need kegs.

Edit: you can carefully pour into a stubbie from the tap and swig from the bottle. I often do that with blondes and wheats, nothing like sitting in the hot sun swigging a couple from the bottle. It floods the tongue and tonsils like no glass ever could.

Do you filter your beer?
I have always had sediment in the bottom of home brew, just like a coopers. Some of the yeast sticks well to the bottom of the bottle and others not so well.
I learnt from my old man, always pour home brew in 1 go, never invert the bottle and never glug it out so the yeast is not stirred up.
I bottle into 660 brown glass and decant into 580ml pints. This is a bit of a waste as its not all yeast so I generally "sample"a bit from the pint while holding the long neck horozontal then topping it up.

Next im going to start filtering the beer so I can be a little more careless with the finished product.

Get a jug, pour bottle into jug, pour from jug to glass , jug into fridge or kept handy till you need it. Conveniently, once you have poured a pint from the jug, there's room to fit another bottle, so full pint full jug - happy man! And all the sediment left behind

bum said:
Hey, guys! How should I drink beer?

**** me sideways, Truman.
Here we ******* go again...Do you take everything serious in life Bum or what?? Take a chill pill mate... my post was half in jest half curious to know what you guys do. I remember those stopper things and wonder if they even did anything. Seemed pointless to me now that i know more about carbonation etc.

QldKev said:
Hurry up and finish your kegerator! :lol:
LOL..Im still using my other keggerator but I have all this beer I scored from the bulk buy in 750 ml bottles...LOL

Bridges said:
I use this also good for champagne. Works great on a beer though.
Thats what i was talking about. Do they actually work though? Once the beers exposed to oxygen what will that do?

Back