Sea Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've just put half a cup of sea water (equiv: 4 grams of common salt) into the water for a UK dark mild. Will report in due course.
Other addition was some Calcium Chloride, both should hopefully shift the sulphate chloride ratio well to the malt side.

:beerbang:

any way to remove the fish poo? :D

..and other assorted proteins!

Bribie G said:
I've just put half a cup of sea water (equiv: 4 grams of common salt) into the water for a UK dark mild. Will report in due course.
Other addition was some Calcium Chloride, both should hopefully shift the sulphate chloride ratio well to the malt side.

:beerbang:
I've been thinking about doing this, let us know how it goes
Interested how it would apply to other fermenting activities too

It turned out very nice and extremely malty, almost like the aftertaste of Nutri Grain, will definitely do it again with dark ales.

Got there before me, Wallace.

'Never drink water, fish **** in that stuff!' - W C Fields.

We used to keep marine fish in an aquarium.

We had a device called a protein skimmer, needed because marine fish eat and shit a lot.

It fills up with brown foam up to about a litre a day as I recall.

Also why you should never get in a jacuzzi that has foam on top - the foam is "animal" protein! [gag]

Seeker said:
Also why you should never get in a jacuzzi that has foam on top - the foam is "animal" protein! [gag]
Depends, If it were Miranda Kerrs protein I wouldn't think twice :icon_drool2:

she might gag at mine though!

I'd imagine sea water to be a feasible idea if you could remove the salt through a reverse osmosis. but you'd be left with dead plankton which might be an issue.

Bribie, have you tried a sodium chloride addition to the same levels to see the differemce?

Latest posts

Back