Scrubbing Sulfur

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question.

I've knocked out a weizen with 3638 and for the first time in my experience it's thrown a lot of sulfur at the end of the primary ferment. I know this is pretty normal for funky wheat yeasts, so I'm not too worried.
However, in your experience, what's the better method for quickly dissipating the sulfur in the keg, at 18 or <4 degrees?

I'm hoping to drink this next weekend - I've been venting it with CO2 also.

Cheers!

the sulphur smell is cause by the yeasts not getting enough nutrients from the wort. they then go looking for these nutrients in old dead yeast cells (the nutrients they are trying to gather from these dead cells is called cysteen(dont quote the spelling)) and this procces causes a sulphuric smell (like rotten eggs). however there are a few ways of removing this smell that will often be a taste aswell.

Give the yeast some oxygen(i forget the name for it but yeasts are a cell that can work with oxygen or none at all. they do not produce much alcohol at all when working with oxygen(hence why we do closed fermentation)) by tipping the wort into another sanitised fermenter or esky or any sufficient vessel, back and forth a few times then leave it to resume fermenting again and settle.

Another way is to FEED the yeasts some Nutrients. To do this it must not be at the begining of fermentation or at the end asyou want the yeast to eat every last bit of it. This will make the yeasts go absoloutly Bonkers.(if i ever get sulphur smells i will add these around 3 days of fermenting to go, can only guess really)
These Nutrients are call DIAMONNIUM PHOSPHATE. use this very carefully as you need the yeast to eat all of it. You can find these at your local HBS or even a health food store.

hope any of this jargan can help at all

Cheers Jake

If you keg (and it seems you do) the 'Yeast' book (pp 267) recommends carbonating the beer then bleeding off the pressure once an hour and recarbonating at night time - do this for 2-3 days, check beer and repeat as required (but does suggest that doing it for an extended period can hurt head retention). The theory behind this process is that the sulfur is due to a less than active fermentation which has failed to drive off the sulfur (and so it's more common in lagers).

I would suggest doing some more research (such as reading the 'Yeast' book) before following JakeSm's advice.

the sulphur smell is cause by the yeasts not getting enough nutrients from the wort. they then go looking for these nutrients in old dead yeast cells (the nutrients they are trying to gather from these dead cells is called cysteen(dont quote the spelling)) and this procces causes a sulphuric smell (like rotten eggs). however there are a few ways of removing this smell that will often be a taste aswell.

Give the yeast some oxygen(i forget the name for it but yeasts are a cell that can work with oxygen or none at all. they do not produce much alcohol at all when working with oxygen(hence why we do closed fermentation)) by tipping the wort into another sanitised fermenter or esky or any sufficient vessel, back and forth a few times then leave it to resume fermenting again and settle.

Another way is to FEED the yeasts some Nutrients. To do this it must not be at the begining of fermentation or at the end asyou want the yeast to eat every last bit of it. This will make the yeasts go absoloutly Bonkers.(if i ever get sulphur smells i will add these around 3 days of fermenting to go, can only guess really)
These Nutrients are call DIAMONNIUM PHOSPHATE. use this very carefully as you need the yeast to eat all of it. You can find these at your local HBS or even a health food store.

hope any of this jargan can help at all

Cheers Jake

Half teaspoon of yeast nutrient went into the boil, no chilled and poured from height into fermenter while splashing about. 5uL of olive oil into the starter. Fermentation was strong and finished quickly, pitched at 13 fermented at 17. Cheers for the advice, but I don't think yeast nutrition was the key here :)

It's pretty normal for this yeast to throw sulfur, I've just never come across it personally.

I'll try out the venting. I've heard sulfur compounds are volatile so should I disconnect the gas, purge headspace, wait an hour, purge ad nauseum. I'll Check out that book cheers

Make it into a crystal and it'll get rid of the sulphur - dunno why but it has happened twice for me. Gelatine and polyclar in secondary.

I have a feeling that it is the yeast that's stinky in a farty wheatie.

Hi, just a quick question.

I've knocked out a weizen with 3638 and for the first time in my experience it's thrown a lot of sulfur at the end of the primary ferment. I know this is pretty normal for funky wheat yeasts, so I'm not too worried.
However, in your experience, what's the better method for quickly dissipating the sulfur in the keg, at 18 or <4 degrees?

Cheers!
Was the fermentation very active? A tall krausen/stand of foam ?
If not, it could be the yeast was inactive, or less than ideal I'd say.

You may find that the ester and clove character is reduced too, if the ferment was a bit un-vigorous

Was the fermentation very active? A tall krausen/stand of foam ?
If not, it could be the yeast was inactive, or less than ideal I'd say.

You may find that the ester and clove character is reduced too, if the ferment was a bit un-vigorous

I've seen bigger krausen in my time, but that was fermenting at over 20. I'd say it was moderate, but ferment was done in three days at 17. I cold pitched to deliberately stress the yeast for cloves, first time I've done that, maybe that's it?

If anyone has a definitive guide for not getting sulphur with weizen yeasts, I'd love to hear it. I use 1214 now as it has way better manners.

I could never idolate what was causing it. Totally random, to the point where I'd re-brew the same recipe exactly (that had no sulphur) and get it. Grrrrrr.

Latest posts

Back