Screwed up my order, what will this taste like.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diddlez

Reaction score
I'm doing a red IPA and imperial stout this weekend.

When i checked my emails I realised I stuffed my red IPA order up. I don't know how, I think I was still half asleep coming off nightshift or something.

This is what I've ordered:

4 kg x Maris Otter ( getting golden promise instead as Marris otter was out of stock )
100 gms x Carafa Special 1
500 gms x JW Crystal Light
500 gms x JW Crystal Dark

Hopping with centennial and simcoe and using a German ale yeast.

Essentially I have twice as much of each crystal malt that I meant to get.

Im meant to pick it up tomorrow so I'm going to call them first thing and see if they haven't started packing / mixing / crushing it yet and see if I can fix it, otherwise I might have to use it.

Is it pointless to even brew this with all that crystal?
I don't care if it doesn't come out as a red ale, as long as it still drinkable. I'm assuming it'll be some kind of sweet dark ale that has the potential to be way to bitter but not sure.

If you don't put in some basic information like your batch size it could be anything from a 2% mild to a barley wine.
Seriously if you want anything like a useful answer anti up.
Given that 20 % crystal is a fair wack and could push the beer toward the sweet end, a couple of options.
Do a lower slower mash as 90 minutes at 62-63oC to dry out the beer some.
Order another 4kg of Maris and 100g of Carafa (or there about) mix the two together and do two brews with half of each.

With what you have at 25L knockout (end of boil in kettle) I get about 1.046 (@75% efficiency) and around 80EBC - so call it nut brown to brown porter colour. Again not enough information to be more precise.
Mark

Yep you could order some extra sepperate base malt GP (lovely malt) then go half and half theoretically should half your crystal contributions sorta. Then then do as above to ensure good attenuation.

Personally I'd go with buying more mo or gp + carafa as recommended above, mix it all together in a bucket and vac seal half for later. Or, if no vac seal, do a double brew day and put one cube into storage for later...

Turns out they never packed the grain because they ran out of Marris otter and golden promise, and when I went in the next day they it back in stock so I amended my order and brewed it today. All turned out ok.

Back