Screw you guys, I'm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in San Francisco watching the Football drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale out of the tap for $6 a pop!

quote name="jaypes" post="1083029" timestamp="1379401Sun498"]Im in San Francisco watching the Football drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale out of the tap for $6 a pop![/quote]
I'm in Paris drinking Leffe Blonde at 3.19 Euro for a 750 ml bottle. Finally found a supermarket, having lunch with the Mrs, sitting around,eating cheese, pate, fresh salad, so it's not too bad.
Only took 15 minutes to get into the Eiffel tower. Secret is to go early.I'm not at queues, so I did some research before I left. Fool if you thinkyou can rock up at midday and not have to stand in line for hours.
I don't find Paris or London dirty cities, but when I was in Sydney last month I found that really dirty.
We will soon be drinking a 3 Monts for the pricey sum of €2.90
cheers
LB

Not For Horses said:
Quite true. I've met people in Launceston who have NEVER been to Hobart.
Most people I know from Hobart think Tasmania ends at Oatlands. They can't even get up to Launceston to pick up their grain from the bulk buys
LB

Thanks jlm for getting rid of that infected keg for me. You should have brought your dog with you and he could have rolled in the spew :)

rheffera said:
Been to London and Paris myself. Both rather dirty places. The line-up for the tower was ridiculous. I don't envy you, rather pity you. Terribly scummy places + Expensive beer = me committing suicide (if i had to live there)

Praise the lord of beer that you don't have to live there.
i feel sorry for you. i don't mean to be rude, but i'm guessing you did something typically australian (read: redneck) like a contiki tour; and sat on a bus for most of your trip, whizzing by tourist trap monuments in a few hours without seeing paris' true beauty, with other drunk australians and new zealanders complaining because you couldn't order a meat pie and no one spoke english.

i'd give my left arm to be able to live in such a beautiful and culturally rich city like paris.

edit: further clarification of contiki needed

And all I drank along the riviera were heinekens and becks... Lucky man you. I didn't understand the English that well, outside London, i.e., I popped over to Oxford on a whim to see the town (naively also wanting to 'see' the uni). Well, half a day of fuckall on cobbled stones and the experience of British rail. Popped in to a little restaurant, backpack on. I must've been looking poor or something, they fed me extra on top of what I paid for. Don't know what the complaints are about on the culture... I found London quite nice to walk through on foot, public transport was murderously expensive. There is so much to see I barely went into most places at all.

Re beer. Sorry, homebrew beats it all. Glad ur having fun. I was genuinely surprised to see Pizza Hut serving alcohol in the restaurant in Paris, didn't eat a bad meal in Paris and cheap to boot. Another city I enjoyed walking through, though the sore feet won't agree with me. All the way from halfway on the northbound line to epinay sur siene, in hiking boots I was breaking in for the Tirol later that month.

fletcher said:
i feel sorry for you. i don't mean to be rude, but i'm guessing you did something typically australian (read: redneck) like a contiki tour; and sat on a bus for most of your trip, whizzing by tourist trap monuments in a few hours without seeing paris' true beauty, with other drunk australians and new zealanders complaining because you couldn't order a meat pie and no one spoke english.

i'd give my left arm to be able to live in such a beautiful and culturally rich city like paris.

edit: further clarification of contiki needed
I did nothing of the sort. all on foot to get to places with maps, no tourist bus trips here I figured out paris & london metro on my own, and used them to get to places. I stayed in hostels and went for walks. Whilst i disliked paris and london, i DID like the countryside and the country towns. Was sober the entire time i was on holiday. I understand where you are coming from, but i wasn't that type of tourist. The countryside and history Is where it's at for me. I never was a fan of large places with many people. I went to many small english country towns by train or bus and had a blast.. I appreciated classic British architecture.

I strongly disagree with you in terms of wanting to live in paris. For me the culture and beauty would be in a rural town with lovely countryside, rather than polluted, over-populated city filled with shops and red-light districts which, in my mind, as no different to london.(putting aside all the usual redneck attractions). For me, the culture is in the rural life, where it is less tainted by the common vices man has.But to each their own.

Do not misurderstand, i saw the tourist attractions as well and respected the history behind them, but for me they may as well be graves of good times past.

You can live your dream in paris,
and ill live mine in rural france. :D

ok. let's put this to rest. I'm nearly 50, worked ******* hard all my life, brought up 3 great kids, have been married for 28 years, my wife is my best friend, easy to get on with and we have saved hard for this trip. My daughter saved 12 grand to go on a contiki tour last year and has done the same this year. It's her money, who are you to tell her how to spend it, or judge her by the type of holidays she has. She is a dental assistant, ex state gymnast, could easily pass s model here on Paris, and.was asked if she was s model in Monte Carlo. Not a redneck, and having met a few of the other from her tour, they aren't either.She's 21 and works 2 jobs to do the things she likes. I wish I was able to do that at her age. I'm not judging anybody by the type of holiday they take, so you 2 can piss off out of this thread and go and argue some place else. This thread was started as a bit of a laugh for the Tassie boys, but any funny or helpful comments are more than welcome.

practicalfool, this is not meant for you, thanks for your comments.

We are sitting here at the watching Charlies Angels in French. Got no idea what's going on.

LB, if you come across it anywhere, rip into a few pints of a delicious Scottish ale named Marching Orders. Might be hard to come by, brewed in the highlands and I only ever found it in one Inverness pub, but if you do find it, bottoms up. Its a beauty. Happy travels.

Cameron Diaz is dancing in underpants.

In French.

That's all anyone needs to know.

When I was in Paris, Concorde crashed. Sorry about that. :unsure:
I found the Awful Tower was good value as well, people complain about the cost but it's no dearer than taking the wife and kids to the local Event Cinemas nowadays and it's a memory that lasts a lifetime.
Also when at Maccas in France, do not order a quarter pounder. There is no concept of quarter of a pound in France so they call it a "Royale". :beerbang:
If you want to go really local bogan there's a grocery store beer called "Valstar" that comes in a goon bottle dead cheap, you drink it out of a brown paper bag of course. Actually quite refreshing after a day of tramping the cobbles.

Okey dokey, a Tassie boy to bring it back on topic.

LB - I hate you. I love HK, but would love Paris even more. Taking 6 people on one wage to Paris is an expensive trip, whereas good flights to HK and a cheap apartment is waaaay cheaper. So that's where I'm going this time. Maybe next time.

I don't think I could go to Paris without going for a wander around the back streets. It doesn't matter which major city you're in, get away from where the tourists are, get lost (deliberately) and see what comes your way - they are always the best experiences. Get away to the rural areas (which we're doing this time in HK), find some good food and how the rurals live and you find the normal period.

And the beer in France, sounds like you're having everything I want. I'm lamenting the fizzy bland lager where I'm going, but for some reason I have a hankering for Tsingtao white label (not export, rice laden beer).

Enjoy LB. If I'm still around, drop home via the big Latrobe roundabout, and I'll supply you with a few plastic bottle Standard Bitters whilst you get your brewing up and running.

Cosmic Bertie said:
When in the London frequent the Witherspoons pubs. They (used to) have a fair pricing policy, where you wouldnt pay London weighting prices for beer.
Noooooooo.......... while cheap, JD Wetherspoons are soulless drinking dens without a clue how to keep ale.

LB- If you are going to the Louvre Museum don't queue at the glass pyramid to get in. Across the courtyard towards the river there is a side entrance that hardly anyone uses where can just about walk straight in. Also the catacombs below Paris are worth a look, bit macabre with all the human bones stacked together in patterns but interesting.

thanks for the replies fellas.
Goomba, thanks for the offer, but I made sure I have plenty of beer ready for when I get home. I think I have 5 cubes ready to keg and 2 cubed of Lager fermenting at 12 degrees for the 3 weeks we are away. Thats assuming the kids havent drunk them, or jlm to that point.
We have found Paris to be fun, exciting, tiring, beautiful, in fact it is extremely hard to put it into words. If you come here and dont enjoy it, then I would think the problem is yours, not the cities. As for rude French people, we can say that we havent met any yet. They have all been very understanding, helpful and patient with a couple of newby tourists.
We enjoyed the Eiffel Tower, and for 30 euro it was a great experience, but walking up the street to the Arc was a much better experience.
When we decided to do this trip we had a list of things we wanted to do, with no priorities or itinerary. Some people have said we were mad to tour this way but it is working out well for us. There is a great deal of spontaneity in touring this way, as we have done things randomly, when we want and how we want. When we wake up we make a plan for the day, but rarely stick to it, we have always holidayed like this and have had some great experiences. We also only plan to do one attraction each day, so that we can do it justice, we would rather see one thing properly than 3 things at a glance. We normally end up doing a couple each day anyway, but this leaves us free for part of the day to just sit and watch the world go by.
Anyway, if you want a beer with your meal, Paris is not the place for it, too expensive.
Thanks for the tip for the Louvre taztiger, I reckon we will go there today,although the Museum of Erotic Art is also on the list.
Cheers
LB

rheffera said:
I did nothing of the sort. all on foot to get to places with maps, no tourist bus trips here I figured out paris & london metro on my own, and used them to get to places. I stayed in hostels and went for walks. Whilst i disliked paris and london, i DID like the countryside and the country towns. Was sober the entire time i was on holiday. I understand where you are coming from, but i wasn't that type of tourist. The countryside and history Is where it's at for me. I never was a fan of large places with many people. I went to many small english country towns by train or bus and had a blast.. I appreciated classic British architecture.

I strongly disagree with you in terms of wanting to live in paris. For me the culture and beauty would be in a rural town with lovely countryside, rather than polluted, over-populated city filled with shops and red-light districts which, in my mind, as no different to london.(putting aside all the usual redneck attractions). For me, the culture is in the rural life, where it is less tainted by the common vices man has.But to each their own.

Do not misurderstand, i saw the tourist attractions as well and respected the history behind them, but for me they may as well be graves of good times past.

You can live your dream in paris,
and ill live mine in rural france. :D
phew! just breathed a big sigh of relief. very glad to hear mate. the french countryside and the english countryside are also absolutely breathtaking. i couldn't agree more. i cringe when i hear how people travel some times and then have the audacity to criticize it because it's not like home for reasons x, y and z; namely, they can't order in english or get food from back home. it makes me cry. thanks for putting my faith back in australian travelers hahaha.

LagerBomb said:
thanks for the replies fellas.
Goomba, thanks for the offer, but I made sure I have plenty of beer ready for when I get home. I think I have 5 cubes ready to keg and 2 cubed of Lager fermenting at 12 degrees for the 3 weeks we are away. Thats assuming the kids havent drunk them, or jlm to that point.

When we decided to do this trip we had a list of things we wanted to do, with no priorities or itinerary. Some people have said we were mad to tour this way but it is working out well for us. There is a great deal of spontaneity in touring this way, as we have done things randomly, when we want and how we want.
No worries, I forget that not everyone brews in small batches like me. :D

I think it's a fantastic way. I pencilled in every second day with only one thing and every other day with nothing - and everything can be moved around according to our mood/kid's mood/how tired we are, whatever. There's a whole heap of things that are "optional" if we really want to, and we do like a little wander around the local area just to feel how they live. So we underplan and are really flexible and it takes the stress out of it.

LagerBomb said:
we are heading back to the UK in a few days. We are also visiting Southampton, Cardiff, York, Manchester and finally back to London.
I wasn't too sure what cellar temp was, so just took a guess. I would be surprised if it was 12 but I'm not going to argue about it.Either way, the ales were great.
Thanks for the tips on the cider and the supermarket.
We would love to explore a little further than just Paris, but our time here is short, so we are staying in this area. Ironically, our first meal here was a pizza, as most of the small restaurants that we are hoping to eat at are closed on Mondays.
And maybe I should have said "brewers in Tasmania".
cheers
The LB's
Cosmic Bertie said:
When in the London frequent the Witherspoons pubs. They (used to) have a fair pricing policy, where you wouldnt pay London weighting prices for beer.

York will be good. Its been a loooooooong time since I've wobbled along the cobbled streets. Plenty of small pubs which are a joy to sit in. Make sure you see the Minster, and Barley Hall (where I got married!).
There's a bar called Pivo in York. It had a good range of beers from around the world, if you tire of Uk styles (not sure why you would though).

Edit- Punc,tu.ation

LagerBomb said:
Thanks jlm for getting rid of that infected keg for me. You should have brought your dog with you and he could have rolled in the spew :)
Infected? I found it to be a delightfully tart and refreshing imperial stout.

Just to keep you up to date on how things are here........Its raining again.

Back