Screw you guys, I'm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dago001

Move Along - Nuthin To See Here
Reaction score
in Paris at the moment drinking a bottle of red with Mrs LB. We have spent the last 2 days in the UK, sampling a few different real ales. I can honestly say that I am definitely going to somehow purchase a beer engine. It adds a totally different dimension to a beer. Served warm ( cellar temp -approx 3-4 degrees) it tastes great. We have around a dozen different beers, and have enjoyed every one of them. Finally got to try a TTLL, which has been the best so far, although I has a Scottish Stout last night which I rated pretty high. I also tried an Adnams Amber Ale, which was very good.
I will post a few pics over the next 2 weeks, so keep an eye out for them.
Interestingly, Mrs LB is complaining that it is hard to get a decent beer here in Paris, even lagers are expensive compared to Australia and especially the UK. We paid 15 euro for 2 pints (500ml) of Kronenbourg today,which is close o $20 au. Pints in the UK have ranged from 3.50 pound to 5.50 pound. 2 pints in London are normally costing us around 7.00 pound, although we paid 11 pound for 2 Meantime Pale ales, which was not worth the money. The one thing we have noticed is that our brews are generally pretty much bang on, so we all must be doing something right. Tassie brewers are world standard in my opinion.
My life is so much better than yours at the moment
Cheers
LB and Mrs LB

I'm off to work so you're life is definitely better than mine at the moment. In Paris, the supermarket is your friend. You should be able to find a decent range of beer at reasonable prices. You are right about the beer prices in bars/cafes. They can be quite scary in some establishments.

Looks a lot less impressive in the Recent Posts list...

Selection_001.png

Screw Paris, jump on the train and hit Brugge via Cantillon in Brussels :icon_drool2:

Sounds like Honk Kong - supermarket/7-11/Circle-K is cheap as chips - buy at a bar and you pay many times the price. I noticed that they are now having mail order US craft beers there, but even more expensive than Aus and they don't have the excise we have.

Looks like I'll be drinking lots of cold, fizzy, bland beer - not that I mind in the warm weather at all - kinda adds to the vibe.

Oh and yes, I don't like you at the moment :p

Does "Tassie brewers are world class" apply to the number of one-headed mainlanders blowing in in the recent years?

I can remember how expensive it was to get a beer in France especially having just come from Germany (Oktoberfest) via Belgium. In France I mainly drunk Cider during the hot summer days that was better than any cider I have had in Aus and it was cheap too.

Have an excellent time.

Surprised you got out of England, you obviously didn't get up north, before going to a pub there I used to look up the reviews some of them were quite funny, "The only pub I have been in where you wipe your feet on the way out" another one I remember was "Patrons quite civilised, go in through the door and you can pick which window you leave by".

we are heading back to the UK in a few days. We are also visiting Southampton, Cardiff, York, Manchester and finally back to London.
I wasn't too sure what cellar temp was, so just took a guess. I would be surprised if it was 12 but I'm not going to argue about it.Either way, the ales were great.
Thanks for the tips on the cider and the supermarket.
We would love to explore a little further than just Paris, but our time here is short, so we are staying in this area. Ironically, our first meal here was a pizza, as most of the small restaurants that we are hoping to eat at are closed on Mondays.
And maybe I should have said "brewers in Tasmania".
cheers
The LB's

When in the London frequent the Witherspoons pubs. They (used to) have a fair pricing policy, where you wouldnt pay London weighting prices for beer.

York will be good. Its been a loooooooong time since I've wobbled along the cobbled streets. Plenty of small pubs which are a joy to sit in. Make sure you see the Minster, and Barley Hall (where I got married!).

People who think 10 degrees is warm should try showering in it. Plenty cool enough.
Sounds great LB - as above, get into the ciders and don't forget the cheese.

Eiffel tower this morning, then cheese,bread and cider by the river for lunch. people watching after that. Maybe some shopping for Mrs LB who has found a passion for the Paris op shops.

manticle said:
People who think 10 degrees is warm should try showering in it. Plenty cool enough.
Sounds great LB - as above, get into the ciders and don't forget the cheese.
Would have to agree. The cupboard I keep my beer in has been about 10 degrees over winter. No need to put in the fridge before drinking.

Yep cellar temp should be 12 degrees Celsius. That's what they told me when I did the Fullers Brewery tour there last month. Even got to pull myself a pint of ESB off the hand pump, sensational

Kudzu said:
Would have to agree. The cupboard I keep my beer in has been about 10 degrees over winter. No need to put in the fridge before drinking.
When we lived on the west coast of Tasmania, I stored my brews outside in the shed. We used tho joke that we had to put it in the fridge to warm it up so we could drink it..

Checked on your place to make sure everything's ok David.......someone's drunk all your beer and left a huge spew on the front doorstep. Sorry.

LagerBomb, I am very envious of you, but you must make sure you go to Montmatre, if it's not already on your itinerary.

BTW what the **** are you doing on the AHB website? Get out and immerse yourself in the culture. ;)

Culture? England? Snigger. Try not to soak too much up lagerbomb....you might come back espousing the once a week shower routine and how everything outside of a 20 mile radius of your town is shit.
Actually the second point does sound like a lot of Tasmanians.

Been to London and Paris myself. Both rather dirty places. The line-up for the tower was ridiculous. I don't envy you, rather pity you. Terribly scummy places + Expensive beer = me committing suicide (if i had to live there)

Praise the lord of beer that you don't have to live there.

Back