Screw caps for re-used stubbies and a whole lot more.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New to this and still seeking info on getting the correct bits and pieces together before bottling my first brew. I have 30 plastic screw bottles, so I'm ready for my first brew which is still fermenting. My question is can I buy the metal or plastic caps that will fit re-used screw-on stubbies? I guess the plastic bottles are fine but I'm a bit old school and like my stubbies.

My second query relates to setting-up a kegging system. Would you recommend an off-the-shelf kit or am I better off to build something from plans I can download from the net?. Now the hard one, if I buy off-the-shelf, do you have a recommended kit and if I opt for the latter, build my own, can you suggest a good source for plans.

Problem with "newbies" I hate that term... is we ask lots of questions but offer little in return. Trust me I am dedicated and eventually down that long and winding road "Drover's Dog Brewers" will become a reality.
Drover's dog.jpg

Cheers: Stuey and my best mate Rigger.

Screw-on stubbies are pressed on if you look around there are still crown seal stubbies being used .

The steel crown caps will work ok with the bottle capper but best to use glass bottles with the standard crown cap style not the screw cap style. Crown caps are a once only use. Otherwise the PET bottles are the safest and best option generally. You can reuse the caps but I like to use new ones so you know the bottle has never been open etc. You can tell when they are carbed and ready to drink by squeezing the bottle to feel how hard they are etc. Also stubbies being half size is twice as much bottling and washing that can get tiresome.
Kegging can be from very simple stand alone set up with a pluto gun that is portable and can go in any fridge were it can fit. There are various options for co2. Soda Stream on the smaller size or swapable larger co2 bottles are more economical. Or go more like I have a used fridge that holds 3 X 18lt and 1 X 12lt kegs with four taps on the side. co2 bottle stands outside the fridge. No end to the different home made set ups.

Have fun! We all do...

You can also use pet drink bottles depending on how quickly going to drink but do not expose beer to light 2 liter coke bottles make for a quick bottling could use bottled water bottles.

Bottled water bottles aren't pressure capable though so not a suitable choice but any soft drink PET bottles are suitable.
Sometimes worth considering if you want stubbie sized PET bottles then look for those bargains every now and then if you can get a slab of coke etc in 375ml bottles for cheap then just tip out the coke (or drink it) just to have the bottles. Dont leave exposed to daylight as mentioned. Keep in the dark.

Hi Guys,
New to this and still seeking info on getting the correct bits and pieces together before bottling my first brew. I have 30 plastic screw bottles, so I'm ready for my first brew which is still fermenting. My question is can I buy the metal or plastic caps that will fit re-used screw-on stubbies? I guess the plastic bottles are fine but I'm a bit old school and like my stubbies.

My second query relates to setting-up a kegging system. Would you recommend an off-the-shelf kit or am I better off to build something from plans I can download from the net?. Now the hard one, if I buy off-the-shelf, do you have a recommended kit and if I opt for the latter, build my own, can you suggest a good source for plans.

Problem with "newbies" I hate that term... is we ask lots of questions but offer little in return. Trust me I am dedicated and eventually down that long and winding road "Drover's Dog Brewers" will become a reality.View attachment 111056

Cheers: Stuey and my best mate Rigger.
If you buy a case of Ahornberger Landbier from Murphys, you'll get a nice beer to drink and12 x 500ml swing top bottles for your home brew to boot.
Cheers Elmar

Back